Vernon's reputation was in no way dependent on his being the called "The
Man Who Fooled Houdini,"(Rick Jay) here the documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeIBCLw4p8o
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeIBCLw4p8o>

Stonre mentioned "inattentional blindness", a phenomenon which enables
many illusory feats.Here at FFL  for example Daniel Simons's famous
"invisible gorilla" experiment has been mentioneed severeal time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKt8YF7dgQ
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKt8YF7dgQ>

where subjects were asked to watch a video of people passing a
basketball and tally the number of passes that occurred. Subjects who
counted correctly tended to completely miss the appearance of a person
in a gorilla suit.

Could it be that Mr. Stone's arrival at the Magic Olympic Village in
Stockholm(that's how his book begins with a "magical trick")"was no
Olympic Village, because there is no Magic Olympics"."just a triennial
gathering of magic enthusiasts, sponsored by an international
organization of magic clubs "and he himself victim of "inattentional
blindness"? "Self-initiates Mr. Stone" (as Ricky Jay called him) who
encounters or studies with , according to Stone, a chain of
superlatives"legendary," a "genius," a "virtuoso" or a "master" and
"mastered (in 12 months of study only)hundreds of moves and dozens of
mind-blowing tricks" claiming that  20 years before Robert-Houdin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzNpEMsBUU8
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzNpEMsBUU8>
  ever performed public!publish his book,tells us about amateur magician
and friend of Robert-Houdin creator of the first special-effects films
etc etc
  George Melies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPmKaz3Quzo
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPmKaz3Quzo>
   RICKY JAY described "Fooling Houdini" as " an ostensibly self-effacing
memoir by an inept amateur conjure".
http://online.wsj.com/article
/SB10001424052702303734204577464450347187644.html
<http://online.wsj.com/article
/SB10001424052702303734204577464450347187644.html>

Do not miss "Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky
Jay," and his comparison to ZEN
Now You See the Real Ricky Jay (or Do You?)
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732334630457842284279355975\
4.html
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014241278873233463045784228427935597\
54.html>

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OlSeOxJmzg
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OlSeOxJmzg>

and "Magical Mathematics" by Persi Diaconis and Ron Graham

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/ims/bull69/FOC.pdf
<http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/ims/bull69/FOC.pdf>

History.Channel.Houdini.Unlocking.The.Mystery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0idt8rh1Tc

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb  wrote:
>snip
> I'm going to try to track down this movie, because I suspect
> it'll talk about Dai Vernon, Doug's mentor and probably one
> of Ricky's.
snip