On 05/08/2013 08:18 AM, Michael Jackson wrote:
> I appreciate everyone answering if Maharishi ever said it would take a finite
> time to enlightenment. I certainly heard the rumor when I began to meditate
> and at that time in 1974 it had morphed from 3-5 years, to 10 years to being
> open ended.
>
> The explanation I was given was that initially Marshy had said close to 5
> years, then changed it to ten using the idea that the world's consciousness
> was so muddy it was taking longer than expected.
>

> My friend Bill who spoke with Jerry Jarvis the other night said his initiator
> quoted Maharishi having given the 3-5 year time frame when Bill was taught TM
> during the  three days checking.
>
> The caveat was given that one had to take into account the stresses in any
> given individual's physiology and mind as to how long it would actually take.
> And personally I feel that Marshy used to play around with what he said, in
> other words if someone asked him a question I don't know that he was totally
> aware of how intensely people listened to the answer believing they were the
> words of the Cosmos and so he might throw out a concept without thinking it
> would be long remembered.
>

> I just wondered it anyone remembered Marshy saying it on any ATR or TTC's.
> Rick? Anyone?

The time to enlightenment can range from instantaneous to many lifetimes
depending on the individual and the development of their nervous
system.  Most people I hung out with doing TM had clear experiences of
transcending.  A few felt they had crossed the line into CC.  But I've
run into a few others, still practicing, who say they've only had one or
two experiences of transcending.  So there is quite a diversity.