On 05/10/2013 07:40 PM, Xenophaneros Anartaxius wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long <sharelong60@...> wrote:
>> In 1987 I was studying Film & Televsion at Univ of MD and first heard about
>> ayurveda.  Right away it came to me that movies could be analyzed from the
>> point of view of doshas.  That's when I decided to return to FF and learn
>> more about ayurveda.  I ended up writing, for The Weekly Reader,  movie
>> reviews based on the doshas and for some time after people would tell me
>> they enjoyed them.Â
>>
>> Over the decades I've seen my share of what I call little gems of movies.
>> What comes to mind:  Bhagdad Cafe.  I don't even remember much of it
>> except that it was a little gem of a movie.
>>
>> Thanks for recommendation about Red Zinger.  Might be good for kapha
>> season, pitta person.  Are you also familiar with the idea that kapha
>> accumulates slowly, vata quickly, etc?  Kapha slowly is one explanation
>> I've heard for summer colds.Â
> While I found panchakarma an interesting experience, I have never been able
> to fathom how the description of the human body and its functioning in terms
> of doshas could ever be real.

Let me help you then.  "Doshas" are "body states."  You can't see a
"kapha dosha" but you can see the "kapha effect" on someone (or lots of
people in the US according to our media).  It's just biochemistry and
the states do correspond to conventional medical terms. Ayurveda is a
useful tool, once learned, for keeping healthy.

> Ayurvedic doctors never seem interested in checking, after prescribing some
> procedure or medication, whether that prescription worked.

Not the ayurvedic doctors I know.  They always followed up.
>   I never met anyone into ayurveda who ever got their doshas balanced.

There's this misunderstanding that the goal is to be "tri-doshic". The
actual goal is to restore the constitution and avoid imbalances.

>   How does one determine if the concept of dosha corresponds with what is
> observed, and does that concept have any real predictive value?

Some basic classes on ayurveda help.   Your constitution will determine
which doshas will be most likely to go out of balance.
>   The idea seems metaphysical, which means it can never be determined if it
> even exists.

No, it is not metaphysical.  If a Korean told you the Korean word for
"neurosis" would that be metaphysical?  These are just Sanskrit terms
for certain medical states.