On 05/13/2013 09:21 AM, Bhairitu wrote:
> On 05/12/2013 11:54 PM, John wrote:
>> I decided to have lunch at my favorite bar in SF (Tommy's Joynt) for lunch
>> today to eat lamb shanks, served with a sour dough bun, potatoes and gravy.
>> From another patron, I heard that a Persian restaurant on the same avenue
>> served the same dish, which I haven't visited yet.  I ordered my favorite
>> beer, Sierra Nevada, and the dish was delicious as always.
>>
>> Also, I was watching the Warriors play the San Antonio Spurs play on TV.
>> But the local team was behind while I was watching the game.
>>
>> After eating, I headed to my car and realized that the day was too nice and
>> sunny to go home.  So, I decided to go to Fishermen's Wharf for a stroll and
>> mingle with the tourist crowd.
>>
>> While I was there, I bought a sour dough baguette at Boudin's Bakery, along
>> with a brownie cake, a bottle of dipping oil, pesto cheese and pasta sauce.
>>
>> Then I checked in at Pompei's Grotto restaurant to have another bottle of
>> beer and catch up on the basketball game.  The Warriors were able to tie up
>> the game by regulation time.  And, they eventually won the game during the
>> overtime.
>>
>> After the game, I walked by the Aquatic Park to see the crowd near the
>> beach.  Two hardy souls were swimming laps in the freezing water of the SF
>> Bay.  A gentle breeze was blowing and the children were playing on the sand
>> on a nice sunny afternoon.
>>
>> Overall, it was a beautiful day.
> I like SF but living a mere 30 minutes away (obviously not during
> commute times) rarely go there.  I was there last year for a couple
> hours of the Game Developer's Conference and may have to come into the
> city this week for a business meeting during Google IO.  BART is a joke
> and only worth taking on the weekend when you can actually park at the
> BART stations (during the week you have to have paid for parking there
> and have a sticker).
>
> So one has to drive and the Bay Bridge is now turning out of to be a
> joke.  It was scheduled to open Labor Day weekend but they've discovered
> a lot of bad bolts in this, the world's most expensive bridge.  This
> bridge should have been finished over 10 years ago probably even by
> 1995.  But Bay Area politicians being what they are had to have a
> landmark not something just utilitarian.  So they squabbled over the
> bridge design as the cost of doing one inflated.
>
> Last year when I parked near Moscone Center where the event was being
> held my parking bill for two hours was $28.  The bridge toll itself
> being outside of rush hour was only $3.  Actually I was tempted two
> weeks ago to drive over to the nearby BART station and take BART to
> attend the Whole Life Expo.
>
> Is Tommy's that place on Geary across from the St. something hotel? The
> place that carves meat and turkey right off the bone?  Great place and
> have eaten there.  Thing is we have great restaurants over here in the
> [...]

It was the Cathedral Hill Hotel (demolished now I think) and here's
Tommy's web site.  If those prices are current it's cheaper to eat there
than it is at a restaurant on Main Street here.

http://www.tommysjoynt.com/

Of course there used to be a lot of Hof Braus in the Bay Area.  The
original comfort food places.