Doc stated: "...meditating among the forest of pot plants they were growing on
their sun porch..." I get images of purple and swirls and Ram Dass.

Sorry to read about your friend Doc. :(

I may have mentioned on FFL before that The Way Corps program which was/is the
leadership training program for The Way International, required hitch hiking up
until sometime in the early 90s (I think it was until the early 90s). In
addition to the hitch hiking, we had time limits to reach our destinations and
(sometimes) if we didn't make it in time, we had to turn around and hitch hike
back to where we came from.

On one of my hitch hiking assignments from Kansas (location of one of The Way's
then campuses) to New Mexico (location of The Way's then rock climbing/outdoor
academy), my partner and I were 19 minutes late. We had to turn around and
hitch back to Kansas...and come up with $150(?) to do it again when we would
again be assigned the trip. The price for the outdoor academy was included (so
to speak) with our tuition if we arrived on time after hitching those 750+
miles; but if we didn't arrive on time, we had to cough up the $$ for next
round.

What a crazy requirement, but 1000s of us complied.