--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Seraphita" <s3raphita@...> wrote:

> This is what has always puzzled me. Would you take tennis
> lessons from a coach who couldn't demonstrate his own
> proficiency in the game? Would you take cooking lessons
> from someone who never prepared a delicious meal for you
> to taste? If Maharishi and his trained teachers were unable
> to demonstrate Yogic Flying in action how could anyone be
> so trusting as to sign-up to the TM-Sidhi program? Caveat
> emptor.

Frog-in-a-pot-of-water-slowly-brought-to-a-boil syndrome.

They (we!, if you ever learned the TM Sidhis) had just
heard so many promises from Maharishi, taken the value
of them for granted, and accepted them without the
intercession of critical thought that we did it again
when told that we were going to learn a technique that
would enable us to FLY.

In retrospect, it seems outrageous, or even unbelievable.
HOW could so many have been so gullible?

The answer for me is "context." If this were the *first*
or *only* outrageous claim being presented to people,
chances are they would have reacted with a hearty,
"Yeah, right," and blown MMY off. But by the time people
*did* hear such claims, they'd heard -- and accepted and
bought into -- dozens or hundreds of others. This was
just the next one.