Share,

The upapada refers to the spouse and his or her status or personality.  One
should not infer that the lord of this pada would lose more than gain.  I am
calculating the upapada based on the teachings of Sanjay Rath, which may differ
from the methods used by the other gurus.  For example, if the 12th lord is
placed in the first house, then the upapada would be 2nd house.  So, you count
from the position of the 12th lord the number of houses it has traveled from
the 12th house.

However, there are exceptions to this rule.  These are:

1.  If the 12th lord is in the 12th house, the upapada will be in the 10th
house.

2. If the 12th lord is placed in the 4th house from the 12th house, then the
upapada stays in that house.

3. If the 12th lord is placed in the 7th house, then the upapada will be the
10th house.

As to the question about Mars, the two examples you mentioned qualify for
Kujadosha. The only exception for Scorpio is when Mars is in the 4th house in
Scorpio itself.  In this case, the Kujadosha condition is canceled.  As you
probably have noticed, jyotishis have varying opinions about this matter.
However, I'm using the rules for Kujadosha as taught by James Braha.

According to most jyotishis, it would be acceptable to marry someone who has a
compatibility score of 18 points or more.  It would also be recommended that
the best time for marriage be selected based on the muhurta.  For example,
Sanjay Rath mentioned that one of the reasons why the USA has such a high
divorce rate is because most people here get married on Saturdays.  As you well
know, this day is ruled by Saturn, a malefic planet which is a significator for
difficulty and austerity.

Hope this helps.

JR