> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Yes, I have similar thoughts. Some slice of advertising does
> > objectify women, and increasingly men. As do TV, films, music,
> > etc. This, per objectification theory, can and does lead to self-
> > objectification -- leading to eating disorders and self-image
> > issues.
>
> I worked for a time in Chicago with a group of friends
> who were all gay -- three men, two women.  One of the
> many things I learned from them was how strongly gay
> men (and, increasingly, straight men) are starting to
> feel the same self-loathing that women have felt for
> years as a result of how the archetypes of men and women
> are portrayed in the media.
>
> The "ideal" is a body type that 10% of the population
> could ever achieve, no matter how much they work out or
> diet.  Women who would have been considered voluptuously
> beautiful three decades ago are now consider fat.  And
> this takes its toll on the people, both men and women,
> who view these stereotypes and buy into them as the
> standard of beauty.
>
> > And objectification is a
> > form of materialism, and thus is the negation of spiritualism.
>
> This one I can't agree with.  Materialism is NOT the
> negation of spiritualism.  Coming to believe that the
> material is all that there is, and that spirit does
> not exist within the material, means that the person
> has deprived themselves of the joys of spirituality
> IN materialism, but it doesn't have to be that way.

I think we may be saying the same thing. My language was perhaps
imprecise or too much shorthand. Its a matter of balance, or
"weightings". A strict materialist is 100% material, and denyes
spirit. That is a way parallels a strict objectifier -- they just see
T&A, not the personality, brain, heart or humor. Both views are
"outward" directive (though we are talking about something
dimentionless and directionless, no real "inner" and "outer". Its more
an analogy. Given that qualifier, a spirituality, in a broad sense,
is in direction of "inner values", mind, heart and "spirit".

> > Focussing on the surface values instead of inner values.
>
> I understand the point you're making, but just feel
> the need to point out once again that the "inner
> values" ARE on the surface as well.  It's not like
> the absolute isn't omnipresent.  *Anything* that
> convinces us it's not present, on either "surface"
> or on some "inner" level, is a distraction from
> reality.

I think we are saying the same thing. Let me apologize for the
non-spiritual aptness of my mother tongue of english. :)

> > And leads to a focus on wealth and material accumulation in
> > an out of balance way, relative to inner growth.
>
> "Out of balance" is just rhe right tone.  Things
> are *definitely* out of balance on this rock.

Yes, as "spiritual maturity" (ok, throw rocks at that phrasae too :)
), more and more is just "in here".