> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long <sharelong60@> wrote:
> >
> > salyavin, first of all, yes, it's a really good day when one
> > learns something new. So thank you for this and though I'm
> > concerned by what he sees as scientific overreach (let's
> > hook him up to fMRI, I say), I'm so encouraged that DanDen
> > is hanging out with scientists and enjoying it.
>
> Er, Dennett doesn't just "hang out with scientists," he
> *is* a scientist. Did you think otherwise?
>
> > Also encouraged by what he says about free will and our having
> > enough responsibility, autonomy and control. Actually I'm
> > encouraged simply by his talking about free will and
> > responsibility at all, topics both wonderfully everyday
> > practical and spiritual at the same time, as well as being
> > philosophical and even psychological.
>
> For your (and salyavin's) amusement:
>
> "To avoid acknowledgement of irreducible purpose or goal-directedness in
> nature – including in the human mind – Dennett writes it all off as a mere
> fiction, a matter of taking an interpretative 'stance' toward the world.  Yet
> taking an interpretative stance is itself an inherently purposive or
> goal-directed activity, as clear an example of intentionality (and indeed, of
> Aristotelian final causality) as can be imagined.  Thus the entire strategy
> is simply incoherent, a shameless sophism which reveals the absurd lengths to
> which the materialist must go in order to maintain his position in the face
> of the insuperable difficulties facing it.  As Alfred North Whitehead once
> put it, 'Those who devote themselves to the purpose of proving that there is
> no purpose constitute an interesting subject for study.'"
>
> --Edward Feser
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20071014120942/rightreason.ektopos.com/archives/2007/06/not_so_bright.html
>
> Dennett's incoherence is legendary among those who
> know what they're talking about (including atheists).

Judy,

I'm not impressed with Dennett either.  I saw a video of him debating the Kalam
Cosmological Argument against Dr. William Lane Craig.  Dennett looked foolish
arguing against the reasoning of philosophical giants like Aquinas, St.
Bonaventure, and Al-Ghazali.  If he had known the pitfalls of his arguments, he
would have declined to enter the debate against Craig.

To illustrate the point, Richard Dawkins, another atheist, declined to enter a
separate debate on the same topic with Craig.  Dawkins knew that he would look
silly arguing against the KCA.  Unfortunately for Dennett, he could not
understand or see the strength of KCA and the intelligence of his formidable
opponent in Dr. Craig.