No, not five-star cuisine, comfort food -- fish and chips. And in my
'hood, no less, at a very acceptable cafe near rue Mouffetard that has
free Wifi. I feel like a soccer fan shouting "Score!"  :-)

Light, crispy crust perfectly fried around a tasty morsel of fresh fish,
served with acceptable fries, tartar sauce, and -- bless them! --
vinegar on the side, without me even having to ask for it. I must look
English or something today.

As for "today," it's still overcast and slightly on the chilly side, at
the end of June. I'm wearing a short-sleeved shirt, but many around me
are wearing coats and sweaters. It's a gigantic leap to go from looking
around the cafe at this to reading on the Net about the heat waves in
the American Southwest.

I wish them all well. Ten years ago I was here in Paris during the
now-infamous canicule (heat wave) that killed hundreds of people in
Europe. It was *intense*. High temperatures, but the killer (literally)
was that it never cooled down -- not even at night -- for a couple of
weeks.

At that time of year, most of Paris is away on vacation. Many of the
ones left behind are old, and don't have the money to travel. Their age
made them susceptible to heatstroke and respiratory conditions, and many
were placed in grave danger by the incessant heat. The doctors of Paris
were *also* away on vacation during this period, but to their credit,
when they heard about the temperatures, many of them left their families
at their vacation homes and returned to Paris, because they knew what
was going to happen, and wanted to be there to care for people. It has
been estimated that if they hadn't done that, the number of deaths as a
result of the canicule would have been several times higher than it was.

But today it's cool, and so were the fish and chips. Life just rocks
sometimes when you're easy to please.  :-)