> Its an interesting documentary with a major flaw - he seems to think the
> answer to all problems is for the US government to start issuing our own
> money again, but as he points out in the film, its not how much money there
> is but who controls it - if we were to switch to the system he proposes, who
> would be in charge of the mint and the printing press - Al Greenspan? Tim
> Geitner? That bastard Hank Paulson? Think they would do a more ethical job if
> they were printing the money instead of borrowing it?

Getting more money into the hands of more people stimulates the economy. Paul
Krugman has written extensively on this topic. The one per centers aren't using
their money to create jobs. That's too much like work. Fancy financial
instruments and fewer or unenforced financial regulations incentivizes playing
and manipulating markets rather than creating jobs. Lest we forget, Detroit got
swindled by Wall Street because the world's biggest banks manipulated interest
rates (see link below).

Detroit's bankruptcy court decisions will be up to one unelected official,
Kevyn Orr, the city's emergency manager, appointed by Gov Rick Snyder under the
"financial martial law" he signed 2011.  Since then, Detroit's city contracts
and public properties have been subject to Orr's sole discretion. He sold off
large chunks of public property, attempted to sell off Detroit's art collection
(the state Attorney General stopped him), slashed public services, ambulance
services, and repairs to infrastructure, streetlights, sewers, roads, schools.
Bottom line, a city with fewer jobs and a dwindling population means less tax
revenue to manage the city. Since Orr's cuts to services and sale of property
aren't enough to balance the books, Orr will have an even freer hand to reneg
on pension promises to city retirees. As usual the poor get the squeeze.
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/12/19/1364661/libor-rigging-costs-taxpayers/?mobile=wt