> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius" <anartaxius@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long <sharelong60@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Xeno, I still don't understand why people want to limit the number of
> > > posts. If a person doesn't like a lot of posts, can't they simply not
> > > read some? Maybe it's different for Message View in that one is forced to
> > > read them all? What is it? Otherwise limiting the number of posts seems
> > > like suppression to me.
> >
> > It moderates a debate or discussion by not allowing certain
> > participants to hog all the time or space.
>
> It is not possible for anybody on a forum like this to "hog
> all the time or space" because the time and space here are,
> of course, not limited.
>
> > There are bandwidth limitations that Yahoo seems to impose.
>
> Such as?
>
> > In Congress, that pack of criminals*, there are rules limiting
> > speaking time on any issue unless there is a filibuster. This
> > forces you to be more precise and compact in your expression.
>
> This forum is not Congress. It's a recreational social space,
> not a place to do the nation's business.
>
> Why should anybody be forced to be "more precise and compact"
> in their expression on a forum like this?
>
> > I recall you did not care for my idea to make posts a certain
> > length. I was not entirely serious about that, but the idea
> > was to make a post require a certain complexity so that short
> > frivolous posts and half-ass comments could not be tossed off.
>
> What is your problem with "short frivolous posts and half-
> ass [sic] comments"? You don't have to make such posts,
> nor do you have to read them.
>
> I might remind you, with regard to the sin of tossing off
> one's posts, that Barry insists he never edits his posts,
> that he always writes them off the top of his head just as
> the thoughts occur to him, and he rarely even rereads them
> before posting them.
>
> And they show it, IMHO.
>
> You can't legislate quality unless you want to be selective
> about whom you allow to post.

I'm with you on this. Not only is it an unlimited, recreational, virtual
environment, it can be modified with brain and/or software filtering by the
user to appear however he/she desires. That's one thing I really appreciated
about Usenet: no one in charge to enforce rules; you could either whine and
remain discontent or be self-sufficient and filter the virtual environment as
needed.