--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> >> I grew up near the Hanford Nuclear Reservation which is now having a
> >> terrible time with all the waste that facility generated. Nuclear energy
> >> is NOT a very good idea.  And when you let profit hungry big
> >> corporations run the show the problem gets worse.
> >>
> >> Right now the problems facing this world are from one thing: too large a
> >> human population.  This needs to be addressed humanly through one child
> >> programs etc.  We could probably survive and enjoy life with a much
> >> lower supply of electrical energy and still keep a lot of the technology
> >> we have today.  The problem is the every man for himself atmosphere that
> >> laissez faire capitalism promotes.  That keeps excessive consumption
> >> alive just so some bunch can keep making money.  How insane!
> >>
> > And can you actually imagine western nations enforcing a one child policy?
> > This is wishful thinking, even if a terrific solution.  On a long drive
> > recently I listened to Dan Brown's new novel, Inferno. Not a very well
> > written book. But......Plot spoiler alert from this point on:  The plot is
> > about a scientist and others who feel that they must do something drastic
> > to reduce earth's population or else we are going to be extinct due to
> > damage to the planet.  Via terrorist means, they plan to introduce into the
> > atmosphere a virus that renders about 1/3 of the people who breathe it
> > infertile.
> > In real life, there are apparently groups out there who are hoping for some
> > event or epidemic or something to reduce our numbers and save us from
> > ourselves.
>
> OK, spoiler here....
>
> but the UK Channel 4 TV series we chatted about here, "Utopia" was about
> that.  I even told some folks I was playing the first episode for to pay
> attention to the opening newscast, it lays out the whole thing.  Most
> people wouldn't pay that strict attention as they think that the
> newscast is just background sound.  BTW, HBO bought the rights to that
> series and is producing a US version which may well be watered down and
> probably not it the nice "scope" aspect ratio that the UK versions was
> shown.

I missed this show and the discussion here.  Will check it out.

> I've wondered if a virus were produced to stop pregnancy and then 5
> years later an antidote found if people would still want to have
> children?  Let's face it, having children is more of a romantic or
> emotional thing except of course for "mistakes."   A friend and his wife
> just had their first child and probably only child.  He is in his 40s
> and was an only child.  I did the horoscope which showed nothing but
> weak planets (oh well, my horoscope is like that too). But I kept
> thinking, "poor kid, I sure wouldn't want to be born into this world the
> state it is in."
>
> And I have other friends who have chosen not  to have children at all in
> spite of the fact that they are very bright people.  It's the religious
> fundamentalists who have still having large families obviously because
> their emotions drive them more than reason.

And also the billions of people in other countries who have many children.

My soon to be married son is seriously considering not having children due to
what he expects the future to be like. I would love grandchildren and we humans
seem to be pack animals, but I can understand his concerns. This is not
something we thought of back in the 70's and 80's.

> BTW, a few months back I found a copy of a Chinese newspaper delivered
> here and to all houses in the neighborhood.   The ad on the front page
> celebrated the single child policy.  Of course folks from China are
> coming over on tours to buy houses in the US.

More details on folks from China coming here to buy homes, please.  So they can
have more children? Due to pollution in China?  It is not easy to become a
citizen here for them, is it?

B, do you agree with James Kelleher's predictions about the 2019-20 timeframe
and that dharma might be leaving the earth for a while beginning then?  If so,
when is dharma supposed to return, anyway?