> on 9/22/05 1:45 PM, anonymousff at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Could be. They have a house in Maine. Maybe that's where they were
> >> originally from.
> >
> > I think so.  It would be easy to look up but I am just lazy at the
> > moment.  I heard somewhere that his 'family ranch' was purchased at
> > the suggestion of Karl Rove before the pres. election.  This Texas
> > family thing is pure fabrication.
>
> He was Governor of Texas before becoming Prez. And surely lived
there quite
> a while before that.

He was born in CT but grew up in Texas.  He left texas at age 15 to
attend Andover boarding school, then Yale and Harvard.  So his family
pedigree and schooling is all old money east coast.  But reports say
he was always more comfortable in texas with a jack daniels in hand
than on the east coast with some fine wine.  The "ranch" is clearly
just an image prop.  In his early business yrs, fellow texas
businessmen called him "all hat", that is, acted like a cowboy oilman
but not much substance there.