--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson <mjackson74@> wrote:
> >

> Iain Banks does it in some of his sci-fi, one of his characters
> will be in an impossible situation with no possible escape and
> suddenly we find out that he's a shape shifter, which never got mentioned
> before, and he slides out of an air vent or something.
> Lazy, lazy...

Actually, that should be Iain Banks RIP as the poor lad passed
away too soon. And he did write some good books. His 'Culture'
novels about a galaxy wide future humanity have some great ideas.

It's like an ultra PC Star Trek but also very sexy and he uses the characters
well to explore the issues facing mankind at the moment,
like terrorism and environmentalism, religion and the dangers of
intervention into primitive cultures.

It's good stuff, you could do worse than read "Excession" "Against
a Dark Background" or "Matter" but start with "Consider Phlebas" so
you know how it all started.