More information, for those of you who are afraid to read something
unless they can find someone to tell them it's OK to read it. :-) There
are quotes from three such "authorities" on this page:

http://www.chrismoore.com/sacrebleu.html
<http://www.chrismoore.com/sacrebleu.html>

And here's the ultimate authority, Chris himself, in a blurb he wrote
for Amazon explaining why he wrote the book:

I suppose it started when I learned the circumstances of the suicide of
Vincent van Gogh; how he had finished a painting, then walked into a
corn field and shot himself, and not in the manner one thinks of a
suicide. He shot himself in the abdomen, then walked over a mile on a
rough trail through the woods above the village of Auvers, France, to
the home of his friend, Doctor Gachet, for help. It seemed clear to me
that this was not the behavior of a suicidal man. (Particularly when you
see how well he was painting at the time.)  Vincent had been murdered,
and for some reason, I guess from looking at his paintings, I thought
that the color blue might be a clue to the circumstances of his murder.
So I decided to write a novel about the color blue.

When  it first occurred to me, I had no idea what a can of paint of I
was  opening. I've written historical novels before, but I'd
always picked  periods and stories that had huge blank spots in them,
spots that I  could fill in with my story. But I was about to write
about the period  in which the French Impressionists rose to prominence,
and unlike the  life of Jesus or the court of King Lear, where very
little was known  about what actually happened,  I could pretty much
look up what each of  the Impressionists had for breakfast every
morning.  It was a curse of  riches. There was more material than I
could ever cover in a single  story, unless I found a way to constrain
it.

So, to pursue my  murder mystery, my tale of an art movement,  my
portrayal of the Belle  Epoche in Paris, I had to find a point of view
that would help me cover  the time period, from 1863 to 1891 and beyond,
so I invented, Lucien  Lessard, the baker of Montmartre, Paris—the
baker who wants to be a  painter, whose father was a patron of Monet,
Renoir, and Cezanne when  they were at their poorest, and who attended
art school with Vincent van  Gogh and his best friend, Henri
Toulouse-Lautrec. Lucien and Henri  would be my detectives, and with
them, we would discover not only  Vincent's killer, but the secret
and magic behind the mysterious shade  of "sacred blue"
(Sacré Bleu), and how it had inspired and haunted artists all through
history.

Four years after the notion first occurred to me, I turned in the
manuscript to Sacré Bleu,  and I think it is what I had hoped it
could be: a mystery, a fantasy, a  romance, a comedy, a history, and an
appreciation. I didn't have an art  education going into this book,
but I certainly do coming out, and I  hope that the reader will
painlessly and joyfully, share some of the  enthusiasm I have for the
subject.

Or, as it says in the prelude:

"Blue  is glory and power, a wave, a particle, a vibration, a
resonance, a  spirit, a passion, a memory, a vanity, a metaphor, a
dream.

Blue is a simile.

Blue, she is like a woman."

http://www.messynessychic.com/2012/12/11/inside-the-paris-brothels-of-th\