 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:50 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Life On Ice Cream Island

As I've probably mentioned before, this month in Paris I'm staying on Île
Saint-Louis, which along with the Île de la Cité is one of the two natural
islands in the Seine. (There is a third, called Île aux Cygnes, but it's
artificial, and does little more than provide a home for swans and the smaller
prototype of the Statue Of Liberty.)

When I mention that I'm staying on Île Saint-Louis, Parisians look at me the
way Los Angelenos might if I'd told them I lived in Beverly Hills. Their
impressions of the place are that it's full of rich, snooty people, the only
ones who can afford the million-Euro apartments there. Having been here for a
week or so, I beg to differ. There may, in fact, *be* a bunch of rich, snooty
types living here, but I never see them on the streets. Maybe they're like
rich, snooty people in other cities, and only appear on the streets long enough
to be picked up by their limos and whisked off somewhere else, but I actually
see fewer of them here than I might in areas of the VIth or VIIth
arrondissements. The folks I run into in cafés and restaurants (and, you will
see if you keep reading, ice cream joints) are pretty normal, everyday French
people, *not* ostentatiously rich, and remarkably fun to interact with.

The island itself is small, and looks kinda like this:

There are really only three streets, and little traffic. There are a few art
galleries and stores, two small markets, a number of bars and restaurants. And
unlike the rest Paris -- which seems to have a church on every corner, as if
the population could not endure being more than a block away from one in case
they suddenly develop the need to either pray or donate money to God (whom we
all know needs it so badly) -- there is only one large church,
Saint-Louis-en-l'Île.

The island is named for Saint Louis, otherwise known as King Louis IX of
France. He's the only French king recognized by the Catholic Church as a saint,
and not being Catholic myself, I'm not sure what he did to deserve this, but I
suspect that he is the patron saint of ice cream.

Île Saint-Louis is home to Berthillon, which serves what is rightly considered
the Best Ice Cream In Paris.

It started as one small establishment, but now there are at least a dozen other
restaurants on the island that advertise its ice creams on their signs and
awnings. Naturally, market forces being what they are, a number of wannabee
competitors have appeared on the island as well, selling *their* brands of ice
cream, and trying to lure away some of the people who come here daily for their
ice cream fix. Ice cream is so much a part of this island's culture that I hear
they even use tiny Berthillon cones in the Saint-Louis-en-l'Île Church instead
of communion wafers.

All of this makes me remember one of my favorite TM stories, which I have
related here before (and which actually happened to a former poster here), but
which I will shamelessly tell again, because I think it captures so much about
the TM mindset. This guy, a TM Governor of the Age of Enlightenment whom we'll
call Joe, was on an ATR course in Europe, and found that he just couldn't
stomach the hot milk with cardamom he was expected to drink each night after
the meeting to speed him on his way to catching the Angel Train.

So he developed an alternative routine, walking out the door of his hotel and
into the café across the street, where he ordered an ice cream cone. He then
took it back to his room and ate it there.

At a certain point on this course, This Guy We're Calling Joe suddenly received
a summons to appear before the Inquisition. They didn't call it that, of
course, but when he walked into the room and saw the row of course leaders
wearing their cheap suits and their standard-issue German scowls, he knew he
was in Deep Shit.

They proceeded to lecture him about his Off The Program behavior, and
threatened to not only send him home from the course if he didn't cut it out,
but to put a black mark on his "permanent record" so that he'd never be
accepted to any course in the future. At first he was concerned, as any
red-blooded TM TB might be as such a terrible karmic prospect, but then he had
a kind of satori experience.

He suddenly realized that he was sitting in a room being grilled by a bunch of
Bliss Nazis and being threatened *for the Sin Of Eating Ice Cream*. He started
to laugh uncontrollably, and as I remember the story, just got up and walked
out of the room, leaving them to do whatever their little black hearts told
them to do. Which turned out to be a big, fat Nothing. Even *they* must have
been too embarrassed by their petty tyrant behavior to make it more public.

Anyway, THAT was the moment in which Joe "stepped away" from the TM movement,
and began his exit from it. To him, there couldn't have possibly been a clearer
demonstration of what it had become, and where it was going, and he wanted no
part of either. The very org that had promised "the field of all possibilities"
had become so narrow-minded and so controlling that they couldn't handle the
possibility of its members indulging in the Mortal Sin Of Eating Ice Cream.

I kinda wish Joe was here in this café. We'd be able to talk about music, and
the many other things we have in common (like how ridiculous we find the TM
movement to be), but even better we'd be able to do it while toasting each
other with cones of Berthillon ice cream. I think that would be somehow
appropriate, and that at least one saint (Saint Louis) would be pleased, even
if the "TM saints" like Bevan and High King Tony and the Rajas and Rajettes
would be horrified.