> > > That's a classic double-bind.
> > >
> > Lawson has posed a riddle, somewhat like a zen koan.

s3raphita:
> A Zen koan! You're making my point for me.

The term 'Transcendental Meditation' is itself a koan.

Meditation means to 'think things over' but transcendental
means to 'go beyond thinking'. Go figure.

Another term that is a koan is the term 'enlightenment' -
because a 'light' does not come from somewhere outside
yourself - it comes from within you.

There are many koans presented by MMY and the Zen
Masters.

Dogen, the founder of the Soto Zen sect in Japan, compiled
many koans in the Shobogenzo. According to Shunryu Suzuki,
a Soto master, the main practice of Zen is 'just sitting'.

This just sitting IS enlightenment. That's it!

A monk told Joshu:

'I have just entered the monastery. Please teach me.'

Joshu asked: 'Have you eaten your rice?'

The monk replied: 'I have eaten.'

Joshu said: 'Then you had better wash your bowl.'

At that moment the monk was enlightened!

Joshu Washes the Bowl:
http://www.ibiblio.org/zen/gateless-gate/7.html
<http://www.ibiblio.org/zen/gateless-gate/7.html>