 From: "awoelfleba...@yahoo.com" <awoelfleba...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:36 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: RE: Mitchell Kapor

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Interesting that these people that get so bent out of shape about TM, are the
ones that put all their eggs in that one basket, expecting Easter, and candy
treats from then on. It's a technique, people, not some panacea for life
itself. It doesn't stop the hard work being done, or the sometimes
uncomfortable looking at ourselves in the mirror. WTF did you expect? No free
lunch on this planet, no matter who you are, or what you do.

Absolutely Doc. I have been wanting to say this for a long time now and you
just did - perfectly. If someone is let down, disappointed, left feeling
cheated or bereft then look to yourselves, people. There is no magic pill for
happiness, fulfillment or anything else and if you think MMY indicated this
then you read it all wrong. Great things come with great effort. Period. You
have to spend years, sweat buckets, will yourself silly and desire it with
everything you've got. And this is just the start. Anything that comes too
easily is either not worth it or will not be appreciated for what it truly is.
People need to stop whining, take responsibility for being naive. You should
have doubted MMY if you felt he indicated heaven would be yours by merely
closing your eyes twice a day for 20 mins. It could never be so and if you
believed it you have only yourself to blame.

>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>

>Mitchell Kapor, Founder of Lotus Software on TM
>

>Tricycle: It seems that the material you’ve been involved with has
addressed internal and external freedom and an entrenched wariness of
authoritarian rule. Is this perspective influenced or affirmed by your
experience with the Maharishi? [His full name is Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.]

>Kapor: My dislike for authoritarian structures goes back as far as I
can remember in my childhood. If I could remember past lives, I’m sure
my memories would extend there too. But my experiences in Transcendental
Meditation ultimately really deepened my commitment to
anti-authoritarianism.

>Tricycle: How did you get involved in TM?
>

>Kapor: Well, my experience was typical for my generation. I had
gotten to college in the 60′s and started experimenting with marijuana
and psychedelics, fairly heavily. I had some distressing experiences
with LSD. Bad trips. So I stopped doing drugs and then started getting
acid flashbacks. I decided to give meditation a serious try to see if
that could have some calming effect. I got hooked in to TM and
eventually made the decision to go through advanced training to become
an initiator, an instructor.

>Tricycle: How long did you stay involved with TM?
>

>Kapor: I was involved for seven years. It all ultimately came to a
head in 1976. The movement went into a new phase and Maharishi started
talking about siddhis, powers, and techniques for doing levitation and
other things. This created so much cognitive dissonance in me that I
didn’t know what to do. I had to find out if it was real or not, and I
wanted to believe that it was real, but something in me said that it
couldn’t possibly be real. People weren’t really going to levitate. So I went
to Switzerland for the sixth-month course on "powers."

>I went and I fell apart. They were using us as experimental subjects. There
>was
fasting involved and various austerities that come out of Hindu
traditions, enemas and various bizarre food combining rituals. A lot of
madness got released.

>After five months of this I said whatever problems I might or might not have,
>TM is not making them better, it is making
them worse and I decided to leave. This was like leaving everything,
because I had severed all of my other ties and relations: no job, no
career, no marriage and no prospects. I got up in the middle of the
night and walked to the train station. I felt like I was crossing from
slavery into freedom, from one intolerable situation into the great
unknown.