 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:27 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: The Theology of Breaking Bad

> turq, I don't find the writing in the Twilight novels
> that great. But I think it's a powerful retelling of
> the archetypal story of love between an immortal and
> a mortal, between God and human for us non atheists.
> In this sense, it's a story of surrender and unity to
> something greater than ourselves. Actually I think
> most romantic love stories are, on the deepest level,
> evoking the human yearning for unity with something
> more complete than ourselves. Also with regards to
> Twilight, perhaps a retelling of Beauty and the Beast,
> another archetypal love story. Maybe it's not an
> accident that the heroine is called Bella and the
> hero Edward calls himself a monster. Hopefully the
> archetypal aspects are also getting through to the
> teen audiences.

I can hardly speak as an expert, having made my
way through the first novel only because someone
was begging me to. It was like pulling my own teeth.

I later found criticisms of it that echoed what I
was feeling as I read. FAR from "archetypal" or
"mythic," I found it to be the literary counterpart
of those creepy clubs in high schools where they
talk guys and gals into wearing "virginity rings."

It was the mindset of the 1950s, with vampires and
the dangers of getting close to them taking the
place of the dangers of...uh...SEX. It was preaching
"sublimation," and resisting of natural desires, and
trying to elevate those things as if they were noble
and wonderful. I didn't feel that was an appropriate
message for teenagers, so I wasn't a fan.

But obviously, tastes vary. What surprises me about
the whole "Twilight" thang are the number of *older*
women who fixate on it.