BlackBerry was popular among the business class who are usually pretty tech illiterate. It did go over so well with the consumer class especially millennials who want to replace their PCs and Macs with smart phones.

Tips for smart phone purchasers. Get a service that has GSM not CDMA. The latter is hardwired into your phone. This makes it about impossible to sell no contract phones. GSM uses SIM cards. In other countries people might even have prepay plans from two or more services and switch out the SiM cards as needed. In the US AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM as well as some other regional and local carriers. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA.

The advantage of a GSM phone is you can buy it anywhere. I paid $350 for my Google Nexus phone last year (which BTW the current comparable version is only $200) direct from Google. I signed on for the T-Mobile $30 a month prepay and simply put their SIM card in the phone. Under contract where you might pay $100 for the phone they would list it as a $600 phone which of course is marketing BS. My neighbor just bought a new Android phone from Sprint and was pissed she had to pay the full retail sales tax (another catch 22). With contract phones you more than pay the price if you had bought it off contract. BTW, carriers in most other countries don't do contract phones.