On 10/06/2013 12:35 PM, anartax...@yahoo.com wrote:

I do not think Barry is talking about the potential problem not being serious; rather the players in this battle on each side have delusional versions of reality running in their skulls, which keeps the house of cards of the international financial in a state of dynamic turmoil. Since its stability is based on /perception/ of how secure it is, we really cannot predict when the thing will collapse, or even if it will.

How 'bout Greece, Spain and Brazil?

My thoughts on this are politicians want to be reelected, they want to provide for their constituents well being as well as for themselves, and there is not really enough money, based on currencies' equivalent value in economic production of the countries involved to do this. Also these politicians disagree as to what benefits accrue to whom. To provide services and provide for emergencies and security, countries generate debt. As Alexander Hamilton pointed out, proper management of debt can keep a country wealthy or have the appearance of wealth, which is how the U.S. managed after the War of Independence. The question here is, has the debt crossed some line where this system of perception of wealth and stability comes unglued?

After the Civil War. The wealthy wanted their pet golden goose the Transcontinental Railroad to get built. Also look up Santa Clara vs Southern Pacific Railroad. That's really when corporations got power they shouldn't have.

Not just for the United States but for all countries engaged in borrowing or simply printing paper money to meet the demands that have been put in place. As most currencies now are not based on some physical value like gold, their value is far more in the eye of the beholder than ever before. As other countries also have floating currencies, no one really wants to rock the boat, but it appears to be very fragile and we have no idea what might bring it down.

The U.S. has some $3 trillion income from taxes, and some $18 trillion in debt. Like if you make $50,000 a year but have $300,000 in debt, although at interest rates much lower than charge cards, countries don't have to pay out so much as an individual as a percent of debt. The U.S. has some $70 trillion in future obligations that are not funded. The math is bleak. According to generally accepted accounting principles, the U.S. is broke. But in perception it seems much stronger because of free floating currency, a country has a certain leeway in how much it can fudge the ledgers and still, in relation to its neighbours, be relatively stable. If all other countries were on, say, the gold standard, the U.S. would be sunk, but because they are not, they have to play along, fingers crossed.

Obama got them to play along at the last G (whatever the number was) which even appalled Paul Krugman because it puts the US in pertpertual depression.

Politicians seem to want to avoid talking about the actual problem in terms that correspond to reality in the sense that ideas about the world, while at best are crude approximations of human experience, can have practical utility in dealing with world as do mature scientific theories. Economics has not been horribly scientific, and political ideologies are nearly insane when it comes to economics.

Many have predicted hyperinflation, which has not come, though the U.S. has been increasingly fudging its measures of inflation for the last 34 years, which reduces payouts for Social Security etc. The inflation rate is currently listed as about 2% per year, though the way the U.S. government calculated inflation prior to 1980 shows an inflation rate of about 9% per year which corresponds to what most people experience these days.

To avoid raising prices they just give you less for the same price. That 2% inflation rate is bogus.

Because the world in our heads governed by our concepts determines our reality as a kind of overlay on raw sensory perception, the practical correspondence of those concepts to reality will determine how well we fare here. We do not have to worry. Whatever happens, reality /*always*/ wins. The result might not feel so good though.