On 10/10/2013 9:41 AM, Michael Laurenson wrote:
 Hi Richard,

 I taught TM in the early 70s and been reading FFL posts for awhile.

 I've read that shyam, shyama are related to Krishna.

 Are these still considered Saraswati mantras?

 Warm regards,

 Michael

 Shyama is Kali, while Shyam is Krishna.

 ShyAmA-kAli has a somewhat tender aspect and is worshipped in the Hindu
household

 http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ramakrishna/kali.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ramakrishna/kali.html

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <punditster@...> wrote:

 When MMY first started out in Kerala, according to 'Beacon Light of the
Himalayas', he only used Ram (for the guys) and Shyam (for the gals), not
unlike the ISKCON pundit boys who sing the maha mantra.

 It was only later in 1957 that MMY started using the five bijas and created
the sixteen variants bijas to include the Saraswati bija which he got from SBS.
According to MMY, the Shankaracharya tradition is the custodian of the bija
mantras. This makes sense because the sixteen bijas are enumerated in the Sound
Arya Lahari, compiled by the Adi Shankara, the main scripture of the Sri Vidya
sect. Go figure.

 A yoga teacher can use any seed sounds they want toin spiritual practice, even
make up new ones, as long as they are given out in a ritual initiation.
Otherwise, they are just simple phonemes or quasi-phonemes with no apparent
meaning.

 However, most Indians, and thus most TMers, only use bijas in a short
sentence, such as with the word 'namah' at the end. You get one single bija
mantra in TM and then you get the more advanced technique with the added words.

 So, you get the seed sound and then the fertilizer; you water the root and
enjoy the fruit. All you have to do is start the mantra and then just baby sit
your bija and watch it grow. It's that simple!