It's not really about Castaneda - we already pretty much discussed that over on Usenet : alt.dreams.castaneda

And, it's more about Shamans than Don Juan Matus. It's more about Shamanism as a influence on the Siddha tradition in India, where an influence from the shaman substratum may be assumed.

Indian Elements of Shamanism:

1) Induced ecstasy through chanting
2) Recovery of lost souls
3) Flight to the spiritual sky
4) Use of the magical drum
6) Shaman as Psyhchopomp
7) The cosmic mountain as axis mundi
9) Use of fire and flame as magical heat