Dear Turq; to give credit where credit is due, actually Centering Prayer was
drawn from the range of Christian and Eastern mystics but to be more honest and
accurate was distilled from Transcendental Meditation in the 1970's by the
three monks and their brethren at St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer Massachusetts.

 I know, I was there and watched them rip Transcendental Meditation [TM] off
for their own purposes.
 -Buck in the Dome

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

> Centering Prayer is drawn from ancient prayer practices of
> the Christian contemplative heritage, notably the Fathers
 > and Mothers of the Desert, Lectio Divina, (praying the
 > scriptures),The Cloud of Unknowing, St. John of the Cross
 > and St. Teresa of Avila. It was distilled into a simple method
 > of prayer [from Transcendental Meditation] in the
 > 1970's by three Trappist monks - Fr. William Meninger,
 > Fr. Basil Pennington and Abbot Thomas Keating at the
 > Trappist St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer, Massachusetts.
>
> http://www.pghcenteringprayer.org/Page_2.html
> http://www.pghcenteringprayer.org/Page_2.html

 I think we all know that The Corrector will probably rip
Buck a new asshole for running this tired and intentionally
misleading routine again, but just on the off chance that
she doesn't, I will. The bolded section in brackets above
comes only from Buck's fevered imagination. Anyone
who reads the rest of the descriptions on that page knows
that it has nothing to do with TM.

Buck's as bad as Willytex at making shit up and presenting
it as fact.