The video game market is flooded and not doing so well. There is A LOT of outsourcing to third world countries of video game production. I kinda know a little bit about that industry. ;-)

BTW, if your grandson wants to be games designer then he better get deeply involved in the arts. I've known some of the best and most famous ones and they didn't have a computer science background. One was much more an artist than anything else.

On 10/21/2013 07:48 AM, Richard J. Williams wrote:

> I don't know what they expect people to do for a living these days.

It looks like there may be more jobs available in the medical field (after the current down turn is over).

It's not complicated - there will be more and more older people for young people to take care of in the future.

So, I helped put my grandaughter through nursing school - an RN program - two years. Before she graduated, she was offered a job in San Diego with a sign-on bonus! My grandson wants to be a computer game designer - he is learning programming at a community college in Sonoma.

"According to the Entertainment Software Association, which represents American video game companies, Texas is home to 24 colleges and universities that offer video-game-related courses and programs. More are on the way, including a University of Texas at Austin post-baccalaureate program that will enroll students in 2014."

'Texas Incentives Lure Video Game Companies'
http://www.texastribune.org/ <http://www.texastribune.org/2013/10/04/texas-incentives-lure-video-game-companies/>

On 10/20/2013 11:16 AM, Bhairitu wrote:

I did "desktop publishing" as a temp in 1980 for a company that did those real estate magazines. Of course there was no graphics, just entering listing on paper into the computer. The gig lasted only a few days as they just needed some extra temps for a while who were good at typing and maybe some data entry experience (got that at the EDS temp gig). EDS wanted me back but I wound up working as a temp at title insurance company. Then my old band wanted me back so that was the end of temp work.

I tried again when I returned a couple years later to my home town to sign up for temp computer work but they wanted a computer science degree for that. I laughed at them.

I don't know what they expect people to do for a living these days. There are actually fewer and fewer jobs. It is probably time to do what Bucky Fuller suggested and pay people NOT TO WORK. But Dixon won't like that. ;-)

On 10/20/2013 07:17 AM, Richard Williams wrote:
After I graduated from High School I attended a community college and got a degree in Graphic Design. I was offered a job in at Pacific Life so I moved out to San Francisco to get started. I rented an apartment on Sacramento street right around the corner from China Town. It was the worst job I ever had - mainly due to the boredom. It was a job that sucked - what I really wanted to do was desktop publishing, except it wasn't invented yet. So, I had to wait until 19893 to get a PC. Go figure.

Graphic Artist at work:

Inline image 1

http://www.smartschoolfinder.com/guide/graphic-art-design-schools

My job was to produce documents and printed materials for the life insurance sales agents. I used an AM Varityper to produce the text, a T-square to align the text, and wax to stick it down. When everything got approved, I gave ithe layout to the printer.

The only good thing about this job was they sent me through Varityper school which helped me get a better job two years later - Art Director of the the weekly Marin Tribune,. That was back in 1968 and it was very cool living across the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin County.

Now this sucks - Rita went back to school in 2000 and graduated from a community college with a degree in Graphic Arts and then graduated from the university summa cum laude with a degree in Communication Arts.

"Have you ever considered becoming a chef, or getting into desktop publishing? If so, forget it. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, these occupations are on their way out, with the number of jobs being created and prospects for growth over the next few years standing at just about nil."

'3 Dead-End Jobs to Avoid (Despite the Decent Pay)'
http://www.fool.-dead-end-jobs-to-avoid-despite-the-decent-pay.aspx <http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/10/19/3-dead-end-jobs-to-avoid-despite-the-decent-pay.aspx>