What I don't understand -- on either the believers' side or the
atheists' side -- is this compulsion to "defend their faith," or their
lack thereof. It seems *completely* ego-driven to me, almost as insane
as someone declaring that their view -- and only their view -- of
vaccination is RIGHT, and anyone disagreeing with it is WRONG.

And there are actually a few facts in the case of vaccination; there are
none with regard to the existence or non-existence of a God.

It's a BELIEF, people. Or the lack of one. Get over it.

There is no need to "argue" for one's point of view, or to try to
"convert" someone to believe it. That is the very stuff of ego, and of a
*lack* of comfort with one's beliefs. Evangelism is a sign of weakness,
not strength.

I roll my eyes at the in-your-face atheists as much as I do at the
in-your-face believers. BOTH are just acting out a seemingly eternal
"ME, ME, ME...*I* am RIGHT, and if you disagree, you're WRONG" soap
opera. And I, for one, just don't get it.

What ever happened to -- if someone asks -- explaining what you believe
or don't believe, and then LEAVING IT THERE? No need for argument
(especially about something that can never be proved one way or
another), no need to assert dominance or superiority, no need to try to
bolster one's shaky "faith" by trying to "convert" someone to share it.
All of that stuff is so PETTY in my opinion.

If you feel compelled to *declare* your faith or lack thereof, why not
just do so, in a single article or post, and then STFU? If others
dispute it or disagree with it, they are free to respond with a single
article or post or comment themselves. This would be the way that sane
people would address issues that *can never be resolved*. But to ARGUE?

I'm tempted to repeat a story I've probably (being an old fart who
occasionally repeats himself) told before, how the first arrival of
Europeans was seen by the Japanese. Their history books refer to this
period as the "Arrival of the Barbarians."

And WHY? Primarily because of this issue of attempting to argue or force
one's faith on other people. That was an extreme No-No in feudal Japan.
One believed what one believed, mainly kept it to oneself, and allowed
others to do the same. It was *unthinkable* to try to "convert" someone
to your set of beliefs or lack thereof.

Then the barbarians arrived, with their European (and Catholic)
sensibilities, and tried (often using violence and torture) to convert
the people they considered "heathens" to believe the same things they
did. Suffice it to say that the Japanese were unimpressed, and after a
short "trial period" of dealing with these barbarians, banned them from
their shores for some centuries, until a fleet of gunships made them
(again, using force) to reconsider.

I know that this complaint about arguing is a recurring theme with me,
but hey!, it's a recurring theme on this forum. There are some here who
are SO addicted to arguing and trying to assert their dominance that
they like to pretend that argumentation is the *only* way that people
can or should interact. I suggest they have it wrong, and that it's the
*only* way that THEY can interact with other people. For them,
everything's always gotta be about ME, and what *I* believe or assert,
and any deviation with that is viewed as a slap in the face, a challenge
to participate in a duel.

I think it's silly, and juvenile, and based on overblown ego and
addiction to one's attachments. I wish they'd fuckin' grow up and get
over it, already.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,  wrote:

> Re "Atheists," you'll be happy to know, is spelled correctly in the
article.":

>  Indeed - but only after a reader's comment alerted the sub editor to
the error!

>  Yes, I understand Francis Spufford's exasperation with Dawkins and
co. Of course, part of the problem Christians have with the New Atheists
is that they - the Christians - have insisted on a literal
interpretation for so long that it seems evasive when they now
back-pedal to a more "existential" defence of the Faith.

>  You've read GK Chesterton's essay "The Ethics of Elfland" haven't
you? If not, please do. It's short and sweet and I'm sure would drive
Dawkins completely bonkers. His view of Christianity is very much
this-world centred (rather than other-worldly) but is very far from
being pessimistic. It's actually rather cheerful, which is what "Gospel"
(Good News) should be.

> ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com
wrote:

>  Seraphita, you may enjoy this article:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/aug/31/trouble-with-athiests-defen\
ce-of-faith?CMP=twt_gu
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/aug/31/trouble-with-athiests-defen\
ce-of-faith?CMP=twt_gu

>  ("Atheists," you'll be happy to know, is spelled correctly in the
article.)

>  It's by Francis Spufford, a countryman of yours--you may even know of
him. His book "Unapologetic" was just released in the U.S. From several
excerpts I've read various places on the Web and this piece in the
Guardian, it looks to be an informal, highly personal defense of
Christianity (Anglican flavor). I'm tempted to buy it. See what you
think.