LOL! And of course, everyone knows that the bibliography in a dissertation
refers not to "works consulted in the preparation of this dissertation" but to
"books, the titles of which are known to me."

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
feste37 wrote:

 > The rumor at the school where I did my PhD was that they weighed the
 dissertations rather than read them. I took that rumor seriously enough
 to make sure that mine was extra fat and typed on the heaviest paper I
 could find.

 That's like the old tech writer joke for those unfortunate enough to
 have to do "guvmint work" according to MIL-SPECS.

 How do you know when a battleship under construction is finished?

 Every day you weigh the battleship, and the documentation. When they
 weigh the same, the ship is finished.

 > ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
 > turquoiseb@ wrote:
 >
 > ...and the most ego. I found this chart interesting, in that the
 longest Ph.D. dissertations seem to be in the fields most subject to
 opinion -- history, antrhopology, political science, communication,
 english, sociology, and education. It's almost as if the grad students
 in those fields are already preparing for an academic life characterized
 by the belief that the more they say about their opinions, the more they
 can pretend they aren't opinion.

 > The chart reminds me of an old college professor of mine who had a big
 rubber stamp that he would wield mercilessly on papers he thought
 deserved it. It was the letters "B.S." -- always stamped in red over
 offending paragraphs or pages. When asked what the initials stood for,
 he would smile and say, "Bloated Syntax."

 > http://priceonomics.com/the-average-length-of-dissertations/
 > http://priceonomics.com/the-average-length-of-dissertations/
 http://priceonomics.com/the-average-length-of-dissertations/
http://priceonomics.com/the-average-length-of-dissertations/

 > This said, I disagree with whoever suggested that Stephen King "needs
 editing." I find reading his latest work a refreshing throwback to the
 days in which writers didn't pander to attention spans shortened by a
 lifetime's exposure to "sound bites" and artificially shortened
 exposition.

 > The thing I like most about him as a writer is that he *takes his
 time* creating characters, so that the reader gets to feel that he
 *knows* them, before he does something with them in the plot. In "The
 Stand," King lovingly spent the first third of the book creating a
 character who was the quintessential great guy. And then he killed him,
 suddenly and unexpectedly, as the result of a mindless act of terrorism.
 You FELT that. You FELT the loss, almost as if it had been a great guy
 you knew personally. I am not convinced that this would have happened if
 he had given the character buildup short shrift the way most writers do
 these days.