--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,  wrote:

> You won't believe this but I watched the movie yesterday! Really!
Maybe there is something in the idea of synchronicity. I was going to
recommend it to FFL also - under the title "Shakespeare without Tears".
The tricky choice with the Bard's plays is always whether you show them
in period costume or go for a modern setting and somehow have to make
allowances for the archaic speech. Much Ado simply ignored the dilemma
and played it straight. One of the best film adaptations of Shakespeare
I've ever seen. I've never heard of Amy Acker, before but she was
fantastic. Actually all the cast were good but she was outstanding.

Amy has worked with Joss many times in the past, starting with a long
stint as
Illyria <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0004931/>  / Winifred 'Fred'
Burkle <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0004932/>  on "Angel," then with
a major role as Dr. Claire Saunders
<http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0076511/>  / Whiskey
<http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0175829/>  in "Dollhouse." Along the
way she's had long, repeating roles on "Alias" and a meaty role in Joss'
"The Cabin in the Woods." Currently she's landed a plum role on
Johnathan Nolan's "Person Of Interest," as the charmingly beautiful
psychopath Root, who thinks she is talking to God and, in fact, is,
because the all-knowing, all-seeing God talks back to her.

> ---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, noozguru@ wrote:
>
>  It's been available at Redbox for a few weeks but I was vested in a
31 days of horror fest so haven't gotten to it yet.

>  On 11/07/2013 02:07 PM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>

>  No, this is not a cafe rap about Fairfield Life and its daily
squabbles. It's a review of a film that I have been dying to see, but
have been unable to because it won't be officially released either in
France or in the Netherlands until January. But the pirateverse hath
come to the rescue -- I scored a 1080p version, and just finished
watching it.

>  To fully appreciate the film, it really helps to know a little about
the making of the film. It was produced, directed, shot, and scored by
Joss Whedon, while "on leave" from the filming of "The Avengers" during
a contractually-forced two week hiatus. Some guys, especially if they
were in the middle of making the film that would go on to become the
highest-grossing film in history, would kick back and relax during those
two weeks.

>  Joss made a movie instead. He paid for it himself, recruited former
actors he'd worked with before to appear in it, and shot it all in 12
days. In his house.

>  This last bit is important, because Joss first conceived of the idea
in that house (designed by his wife) years earlier when they were
hosting Shakespeare readings at the house. He shoots using hand-held
cameras and found lighting -- "Our lighting package rose in the east and
set in the west." And while making the movie itself was Joss' way of
having fun, one aspect of the production he described as "terrifying."
He wrote the music, along the way scoring two of the songs that
Shakespeare wrote for the play. The songs were recorded by Joss' brother
Jed and his wife Maurissa Tancharoen, while Joss' wife kinda ran both
the production and the household as her house was invaded by a host of
actors and film crew for two weeks. So it was a real "family affair."

>  That said, the play's afoot...let us proceed.
>
>  Suffice it to say that this is a film adaptation by Joss Whedon, so
there has to be a *twist*, some way of seeing the Bard's words anew, as
no one else has ever seen them before. Joss manages all of this with one
scene, shown in silence before the credits. I can say no more (insert
"Zip it!" sketch here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32C0eKRQVt8),
except to say that this one scene *completely* transforms Shakespeare's
play into something infinitely more understandable in our era, and
renders the interplay between Beatrice (Amy Acker) and Benedick (Alexis
Denisof) more believable in a more sexually liberated era.

>  I am a *serious* fan of Amy Acker, and she doth not disappoint in
this retelling of the Bard's tale. Nathan Fillion is charming in a short
cameo as Dogberry, one of the most inept cops in playwriting history.
The other cast (many of them faces, if not names, you'll know from Joss'
other works) are equally up to their task of Having Fun.

>  I really liked "Much Ado About Nothing," and recommend it highly to
1) Shakespeare fans -- you'll never see a more creative adaptation of
the  Bard's work, 2) Joss Whedon fans -- your love for the man will only
be increased by your knowledge of what the place he lives in looks like,
and 3) lovers of great comedy -- this play is considered one of
Shakespeare's best comedies -- produced lovingly, well, and with
abundant humor.

>  Think about it. The entire movie was done by A Group Of Friends On
Vacation, doing all of this for FUN. There is a certain magic in this.