It is not that these meditators have lived, but that they have so lived...that
they offered themselves willingly in a cause vital and dear to humanity; and
what is more, a cause they comprehended as such, and looking at it, in all its
bearings and its consequences, solemnly pledged to it all that they had and
were.... This comprehension of the cause, this intelligent devotion, this
deliberate dedication of themselves to duty, they suffered in testimony of
their loyalty, faith and love, make these meditators worthy of honor today, not
merely that the cause was worthy but that they were worthy.

  We do not live for self.... We are a part of a larger life, reaching before
and after, judged not by deeds done in the body but deeds done in the soul.

 Look to this day
for it is life
the very life of life.

 -Sanskrit poem