[image: Inline image 1]

Someday soon we are going to be selling everything and packing up what's
left to move to a place that's right for us. There are good reasons to move
and good reason to stay where we are. Each area has its pros and cons.
Every place you live is a compromise and there is no perfect place

For example some place have good weather all year like Laguna Beach,
California, and some places have weather that sucks, like Cut Bank,
Montana. For others, weather is perhaps not as big of a deal.

Most people like what they already know and the older people get the more
they have resistance to change. For me, moving isn't a big deal, since I
spent eighteen years a military brat, living in over ten U.S. states,
England and Japan.

After college I lived in California for thirteen years, both north and
south, and then moved to Austin, Texas for twelve years. Recently Rita and
I visited her hometown, Detroit, and visited her sister for a few weeks.

And, I've driven through most of the U.S. at one time or another. I love
northern California and the Escondido area around San Diego - lots of
business opportunities;good schools; avocados.. These are the many reasons
people like to live near the ocean or the mountains.

But, there are some negatives also, like in California where the state is
struggling, which means the cities are now struggling. The bureaucracy is
increasing out there. Some people are getting tired of dealing high
property taxes - Prop 13 sets property tax on homes at 1% - and sales taxes
are going up all the time. If you buy a $1M home you'll pay $10,000 just in
taxes to live in San Diego County!

Is there some place that would be an almost ideal place to live?

If you take out a map of the U.S. you can easily cross off several
locations. The first thing we did was cut out places where homes are very
expensive, like Seattle, Washington or San Francisco, California or
Portland, Oregon. We want someplace that is cheap where you can park a lot
of cars and play loud music.

So, you can cross off places where it's too hot or too dry or too wet - bad
weather. And, we want to avoid tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding,
earthquakes, blizzards and deserts. That rules out most of the middle of
the country, California, Texas, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Montana and most
of the Gulf of Mexico states, and the far north both east and west.

Some people don't like living in flat lands - they prefer mountains with
trees and scenery. We want a place that has rivers, lakes, and less
traffic. So, after ruling out those places (there are still some rural
places in California, Oregon, and Washington, but they're not ideal for one
reason or another).

Years ago Stephen Gaskin and his family opted to move from San Francisco to
Tennessee to be on The Farm. So, I started to consider places like
Nashville and Memphis where Rita could still continue playing in her band
and I could park my cars and work out of my home office on the internet.

In a recent survey of great places to retire Chattanooga was at the top of
the list. Go figure.

I've been reading about how Chattanooga is experiencing a resurgence of
vitality in the city: very low rates for electricity due to good management
by the Tennessee Valley Authority. And very fast network connections too.
You can buy a nice house in Chattanooga for $150,000 or rent a house for
around $1000 a month; car registration is $28; $2 a year to register your
boat; you can establish a corporation for $150. So, living costs would be a
lot cheaper in Chattanooga than some other places.

What is there to do there?

We don't want to be out in the sticks with no culture or entertainment. We
want to live near a town or city where there are lakes and river for
rafting and caves to explore, and trails for mountain biking. And, there
are historical sites too; Washington D.C. is just a days drive away.

So, in a quick review of the positives of living in Chattanooga: there is
cheap housing; cheap energy; cheap water; cheap land; low taxes; and low
bureaucracy. There are green lands, mountains, rivers and lakes and fire
flies out in nature. And industry - Amazon is out there and Ikea, Home
Depot, and a Whole Foods Market in town. The weather is not bad, does not
get too hot and does not get extremely cold either. Tornadoes are rare.

But, what about rednecks? Heck, I'm used to that, being one myself, but
some places, even though they're located in the south, defy stereotypes,
just like Austin, Texas, the home of live music. We might miss that, but
there's Nashville and Memphis for music entertainment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farm_(Tennessee)

http://www.thefarmcommunity.com/

http://www.chattanoogafun.com/

http://www.nps.gov/state/tn/index.htm?program=all