It looks like we reached the point where Judy won't even admit ownership of her own words. It just doesn't get much better than this! Go figure. So, let's look it up:

"In 30 years, I've never heard a TMer say anything about repeating the mantra when they are asleep, nor have I ever heard a TM teacher mention it."

Subject: Re: do you ever repeat your mantra when you are asleep and dreaming?
Author: Judy Stein
Newsgroups: alt.meditation.transcendental
Date: Sat, Dec 17 2005 9:56 am
http://tinyurl.com/9gxse

"...the TM mantras are *not* the names of the Hindu gods. The Hindu gods have perfectly good names of their own."

Author: Judy Stein
Newsgroups: alt.meditation.transcendental
Date: Sat, Dec 17 2005 1:22 pm
http://tinyurl.com/9gxse

So, I wonder what SBS had to say about istadevata and the bija mantras?

"Apply your body and wealth mainly, and your mind secondarily, to run the vyavahara. When the mind is mainly engaged in thinking of God, you shall receive His grace. The experience of the Bhaktas also goes to prove this declaration of the Lord. People are unhappy because they do not have a chosen deity (Ishta). Without Ishta, people turn out to be orphans. It is only Ishta that saves one from anishta (untoward happenings). Of the five Deities - Shankara, Vishnu (Ram, Krishna), Surya, Ganesh and Devi, whosoever is more adorable to you, the mantra of that Deity should be repeated by you every day. You must get to know the mantra of your Ishta, and the method of dhyan (meditation) thereof, through an experienced Satguru and somehow or other, devote some time every day in japa of the Ishta mantra and dhyan. Through japa, Realisation (Siddha) will result. There is no doubt about this. "JAPAT SIDDHIR JAPAT SIDDHAIR JAPAT SIDDHIR NASAMSAYAM." To apply your mind to your Ishta is abhyasa. To constantly think of Ishta, meditate on it, talk always about it, and think always about it, this is abhyasa."

Swami Brahmanand Saraswati Ji, Shankaracharya of Jyotir Math [1941 – 1953]
GURUDEV SATSANG
http://www.paulmason.info/gurudev/gurudev.htm