--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,  wrote:

> I admit that I am fascinated by Atlantis subject matter.  I tend to
gobble up books on the subject.  And yes,  pretty much the tales end up
the same - evil overcoming good and the place gets destroyed.

I, on the other hand, am fascinated mainly by the fascination with it. I
have seen this fascination act itself out in several spiritual trips,
and it's always the same.

The myth, all springing from one tiny, never verified mention in Greek
history, is *perfect* to project one's fantasies onto, because there is
no detail and no facts (even claimed facts) to get in the way. It's a
"blank slate," onto which supposed seers and spiritual teachers have
been projecting *their* fantasies for centuries.

See the world in terms of duality, and a constant struggle between
"good" and "evil," and *of course* that's what Atlantis was all about.
And even though there is no mention of *how* the mythical Atlantis sunk
beneath the waves, or *why*, again *of course* it's because the people
of Atlantis were being "punished" for somehow straying from the path of
"good" and into the world of "evil."

What's most fascinating is to sit in a room full of people who are
already committed to some spiritual teacher or guru or cult leader of
some kind, and see that person spin made-up tales of "Old Atlantis" and
watch the followers nod their heads and say, "Yeah, I remember that."
Yeah, right. They just want to believe that if these events took place,
that *they* -- being so important and all -- were right there, right
then, right in the center of the action.

On the whole, I'm more comfortable with truly fictional fantasy like the
Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones than the same thing pretending to
be "seeing." There is an honesty about real fiction that you just don't
find in fiction being presented as if it were fact.