As this current and next generation of David Lynch-TM'ers take the helm from us
TM elders as we rotate out of the front lines in the next few years may be this
more honest iteration of the sweet-truth hymn could become the new TM prayer
that gets said before meals and invoked before meetings instead of that old
Saha Nav version the elder administration is currently so fond of keeping in
place. Just might help and encourage people to rise up to new levels of
integrity that the TM movement has not necessarily been known for. As our south
American christian FFL member says here, “Think of that.”
 There is hope and our hope for good is in the new generation,

 -Buck

 This “Speak the Sweet-truth” thing is real interesting to look back at. Like
the bending in our TM translation and repeating of the Saha Nav hymn to a
cultural end. Cardmeister worked that over a while ago here. It was kind of
shocking seeing the translation then to discover a manipulation in what was a
scriptural hymn. Seems to explain a lot about the old culture of TM inside.
That culture now seems to be changing as TM gets run more openly by committee
processes based more practically on merit and less by an authoritarianism in
theocratic feelings about people and things. In watching it seems the Prime
Minister of the Global Country is still proly the most powerful authoritarian
left of the old guard. Saha Nav, -Buck

 May be Yahoo could adapt this in to their yahoo-groups guidelines:
 satyam bruyat, priyam bruyat       speak the truth, speak sweetly
na bruyat satyam apriyam |          don't speak truth in an unloving way
priyam ca nanritam bruyat           don't speak untruth in a pleasant way
esha dharmah sanatanah ||           this is the eternal law

 Paul, you may appreciate the dissonances in the TM Saha Nav hymn too.
Cardmeister worked that over in translation too. See these,
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FairfieldLife/conversations/messages/342542

 this link to the Saha Nav post by Cardemaister fra Finland about the more
proper translation of the TM Saha Nav
hymn:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FairfieldLife/message/302944

In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <psimdars@...> wrote:

 This verse is from the Manu Smriti (4.138):

 Original translation:

 satyaM brUyAt priyaM brUyAt       speak the truth, speak sweetly
 na brUyAt satyam apriyam |          don't speak truth that is unpleasant
 priyaM ca nAnRRitaM brUyAt       don't speak untruth that is pleasant
 eSha dharmaH sanAtanaH ||          this is the eternal law

 the Literal translation is:

 truth speak, lovingly speak
 don't speak truth unloving
 lovingly untruth don't speak
 this is law eternal

 My "enhanced" translation"

 satyam bruyat, priyam bruyat       speak the truth, speak sweetly
 na bruyat satyam apriyam |          don't speak truth in an unloving way
 priyam ca nanritam bruyat           don't speak untruth in a pleasant way
 esha dharmah sanatanah ||           this is the eternal law

 I'm certain that the shloka is talking about how to speak the truth not the
quality of the truth itself.  That is, it's not the truth that is to be sweet
or not, truth is truth.. but it is HOW you say it that is the rule.

 the key word you in the first three lines is "priyam"
 this is derived from the word "prem" which means love, so I feel it is
appropriate to translate "priyam" as "lovingly", although "sweetly",
"pleasantly" are not far off.

 But I have to emphasize that this shloka doesn't not say that one should,
under any circumstances, not tell the truth, but it is guiding one to say the
truth in a pleasant way.  The truth must be told ("satyam eva jayate" truth
alone triumphs)

 "ca" means "and" (used very differently in Sanskrit than English / not a
connective word)
 "ritam" is another word for "truth"
 "nan" negation "no" or "not"
 "bruyat" means "speak" or "say"

 priyam ca nanritam bruyat           don't speak a pleasant untruth

 The word "ca" echoes the repetitive logic from earlier line (meaning "don't")
 "nanritam" means "untrurth"

 "priyam" is used here to describe a way of speaking, not nature of the truth.
 Therefore it should mean "lovingly"

 The reason I think this is a fundamental issue is that people may feel that
you should never tell someone something they don't want to hear.  But that is
not what it says.  You can tell your friend that he didn't win the election or
you can rub his nose in it and call him a loser.  The fact (or truth) is the
same but the way you say it is different.

 If you only tell people what they want to hear, you create "bubble mentality".
 People will live in a bubble they create because they only want to hear what
they want to hear.  That is NOT speaking the sweet truth as defined in the Manu
Smriti.