Thank you! I hope he's still in good health.

 I've never quite understood Pollini's reputation in some circles for
"coolness." I like his straightforwardness and lack of sentimentality. He lets
you dig the music on your--and its--own terms without, as it were, telling you
how to feel about it, but his brilliant technique brings out everything the
composer put into it. (IMHO.)

 Change of pace, a movement from a simple Bach keyboard piece that never fails
to lift my spirits:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-GnAGwjXnM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-GnAGwjXnM

 Schubert's last piano sonata, composed shortly before his death. This (the
first movement) takes me places:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok9tofNmqNY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok9tofNmqNY

 Beethoven's "Waldstein" piano sonata (Pollini again):

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-OM70p3Jd0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-OM70p3Jd0

 My father used to play this at home (or try to play it; he was a talented
amateur, but this is a tough piece--he enjoyed the challenge, would practice it
for hours).

 Emily wrote:

 << Thank you Judy.  This is a good article on Pollini in the WSJ, April 2013.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324874204578440571761520316
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324874204578440571761520316