In the US broadcasters thought that HD Radio was going to be the cat's meow. However receivers are expensive and until one can pick one for $10 it's not going anywhere. Radio engineers I know hate HD Radio. It's basically digital signals so that each station can have additional "channels" but the quality isn't that good.

AM radio in the US is on it's death bed. Big corporations like Clear Channel and Cumulus bought up a lot of stations and are losing money on them. People listen to Internet streams instead. On my walks I listen to streams on my smart phone rather than AM or even FM radio. We're having a strange mixup after the first of the year in the SF Bay Area. Rush and Hannity the right wing talkers are moving from a higher power station to a lower power that is currently hosting mostly liberal talk. Don't know if all the liberal talkers on the former Green960 are moving to the other more powerful station (but not by much).

Personally I love all the big corporations losing their asses on their radio and TV stations. Couldn't happen to a better bunch.