On 12/16/2013 06:23 PM, s3raph...@yahoo.com wrote:

Re "There was a plan for hand-held digital TVs with a lower resolution sub carrier but it seems to have gone away.":

So we're moving backwards! We now have less freedom of choice.

My hand-held TV screen (Casio) was great for when I was watching a programme at home on my "stationary" TV and needed to "use the restroom" (Ugh!). I could take the portable and not miss the vital clue in the detective show.

Mobile DTV was the idea but defunct. Beside the cost of high density panels have dropped. My 4.7" phone has 1280x720 resolution. There's a new scheme for the US. The UK though has a different broadcast standard.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/71507/mobile-dtv-is-dead-long-live-atsc-30

Re"I have data on my T-Mobile account which costs $30 a month.":

So you're now having to pay what you got for free with an old-fashioned portable transistor!

No, I'm listening to shows that aren't being broadcast over terrestrial radio. Folks here will tell you a $30 a month plan for a smartphone is very cheap. I was paying $70 before and got only 2 GB of data a month.