Bhairitu wrote:

 << Apparently I need to do a reader's digest version for Judy.  But what the
writer was pointing out that the problem with many supplements are the cheap
ones that big pharma makes which indeed does seem a bit contradictive. >>

 Yes, that's exactly what I was asking about, given that, according to the
article, Big Pharma makes sure that its own low-quality supplements are used
for the evaluative studies. If what it wants is the whole supplement market,
one would think that Big Pharma would want the studies to have good results and
therefore would want them to test the best possible supplements available
(i.e., not its own) so as not to scare away consumers.

 Once science gave supplements its stamp of approval, Big Pharma could just
compete on price because consumers wouldn't know about the difference in
quality. That would make sense as a strategy--but, according to the article,
that isn't what Big Pharma is doing.

 If Big Pharma wants people not to buy supplements at all, its own or any
others (as the article also claims), it would make sense to have the studies
test its own low-quality supplements and come up with negative results.

 The problem with making Big This and Big That guilty of every conceivable type
of conspiracy is that some of the conspiracies' goals may be in conflict with
each other.

 In this case, if Big Pharma wants everyone to use its supplements, it can't
also want people to stop using supplements altogether and use its medicines
instead. Those two goals are incompatible.

 BTW, you do realize the guy who wrote the article is a nutcase, right? I mean,
he claims that medicines are never tested for effectiveness while supplements
always are. That's just cuckoo; it's exactly the opposite.

  << Real natural health practitioners will be very fussy about supplement
sources (as I pointed out as did the article).  And if you actually have enough
background in the supplement therapy you can also use some of the cheap
supplements too for certain conditions.  It''s all just biochemistry (which as
I've said before that a friend who went to medical school told me many of the
students were lousy at).

Also this trying to stop supplements has been going on for ages.  It won't go
anywhere because even standard medicine uses supplements for some things.  But
the funny thing is the pseudo scientific 'tude I'm seeing here against natural
medicine. >>

 Seeing here where? Oh, you mean Xeno.

  Back in the 1970s my fellow TM'ers were interested in alternative medicine
and supported local MDs, naturopaths and chiropractors who used it.  Remember
MMY hadn't blessed us with his brand of ayurveda yet.  I guess some of the
folks here have turned into old fogies seeking salvation by being pharmadicts
standing in line at CVS or Walgreens to get their fix.