Vishnu Incarnations

(Sri Ganapathi Sachchidananda Swamiji's speech on 3-9-96)
Compiled and translated by Sri H.V.Prasad

The incarnations of Vishnu are countless. Ten of them are popular. But 21 are
very special.
In each of these, Vishnu Tattva has spread. Krishna Avatara was the greatest. .
Imagine
two small boys playing on the beach. One of them builds a sand castle. The
other too
builds a rival castle. They build as if they are emperors. They take happiness
from that
activity. Seeing them, the parents feel very happy. The father calls them and
asks them to
go home. Then these boys destroy what they have built. This also they do
happily. They do
that so that other boys cannot derive pleasure from their labor. What they have
done, they
finish it. The boy who had built a rival castle was planning to take over the
other's castle
after his leaving. He is disheartened that the castle was destroyed by its
creator. He is
disheartened as if his labors were wasted. Who was right and who was wrong? Is
the first
boy who built and destroyed so that the other boy could not enjoy his castle,
right? Or the
other boy who was planning to take over the first boy's castle and was
disheartened when
the first boy destroyed his castle before his departure? Give me your answer
tommorow.
There are three characters here. Who is the third? Is it God? No. It is the
father, who
encouraged his son to build a sand castle and enjoyed his son's labors. Of the
21
incarnations, some are important. The same God is in me and makes me speak. The
same
God is in you all and makes you hear my words. I speak because you hear and you
hear
because I speak. You are here out of Love for Swamiji. And Swamiji is here
because you all
have Love for him. The same God has brought us together. In this case, God is
the first
boy, I am the second and you all are the third boy.

The first incarnation took place at the beginning of Krita Yuga. That is at the
Sandhi Kaala.
The begining of a day is very important. The intellect is in a special
condition then( from
4.30 to 6 AM). The second important time is when the sun is at the top, i.e.,
noon. In the
evening the sunset time is also important. Our body is a temple and requires
special
treatment. Special treatment does not mean special food. To keep the body in
good shape
and to keep the mind sharp, sadhana is necessary. At these three periods of
time, God
enters our body. We must be silent and comtemplative at least during those
times. At least
for five minutes. Many complain that Swamji does not come in their dreams. To
them I say,
'I tried but you were very busy and not prepared to accept my presence'. We
must think of
Him so that he comes to us. We must thank him frequently saying "Because of you
I exist. I
thank you for keeping me alive till now."

In the Yuga Antara time Manvantara was giving Arghya in a river and when he
took a
palmful of water in his hand, he found a fish in his hand. It requested him to
care for it. He
took the fish to his home and as the fish grew day by day, he could not care
for it. He
asked why he was growing and why he had come to him? The fish said that in
seven days,
a water pralaya (total destruction) would occur. "Take a boat. Saptarshis will
come. Take
samples of all living things. I will come and lead you out of this pralaya. A
demon will steal
the Vedas and hide them in the sea. I will come and protect the Vedas."

A demon stole the Vedas. Then Hayagreeva came and rescued the Vedas. God came
in the
form of a fish and sustained the creation. This is Matsya Avataara. The Pralaya
occured to
weed out the wicked and evil souls.

Next is Kurma Avatara. The incarnation as a tortoise. God came and got Amrita
for the
Devatas. The demons were deprived of it. God did it in a very wise manner.
Feelings are
important. Scold somebody in a foul temper. He will be hurt. But smilingly
correcting
someone will be taken in a light manner. If wisdom and gentleness are there, it
is not
enough. The Rakshashas [demons] had strength. So to take Amrita out of the
ocean, He
needed the help of the demons [for strength]. Then the Devatas went and
surrendered to
the demons. The demons became happy. The Angels served the demons. Right from
Indra,
all the angels served. It is said that to get work done, one has to pray evento
a donkey if
necessary. After some time passed, the angels submitted a plan to the demons.
If we
together, churn the milky ocean, Amrita will come out and by consuming it, we
all can
become immortal. They accepted. Mandara mountain was brought and placed in the
ocean. Since there was no support for the mountain to float, it sank. Then the
Devatas
prayed to Vishnu to help them. He took a special incarnation as Kurma, i.e. the
tortoise.

When the Lord supported in the form of a tortoise, the mountain floated.
Vasuki, the
celestial snake became the churning rope. The mountain became the churning
stick. Have
you ever churned anything? At least seen anybody churning? "No", I presume. The
tortoise
is a special animal. It is mild, soft, shy and slow.

Vasuki became tired and started to throw out poison. It enveloped the whole
world and
became a potential danger. Then Lord Shiva drank the poison and protected the
world.

When you do seva, confusion comes. There will be so many obstacles. We almost
become
fed up. Only when we crave for something do we understand its importancet. Go
Tirupati. Stand in the queue and have Darshan. You will be craving for the Lord
by the time
you come to the Sanctum Sanctorium for Darshan. Going there as VIP for special
Darshan
has no value. Devotion comes only in the hard way. During the development of
devotion,
confusions do come. Do not worry. It is a good sign. Bad must intervene to make
the good
more valuable.

The churning continued with a great sound. A small churning in a house makes so
much
sound. Imagine this celestial churning. So much activity...so much sound. All
activities
have methods. If you sit before milk and beg the butter to come out, will it
come out? No.
Churning is necessary.

The churning continued. Several objects came out. The celestial elephant,
Goddess
Lakshmi, etc. etc.,came out.

Lakshmi went straight in to the heart of Lord Vishnu.

The churning continued. Then Dhanvantari, the celestial doctor, appeared from
the ocean,
holding the pot of Amrita.

Dhanvantari appeared. He had four hands. Two visible, and two invisible. The
invisible
hands have secret mudras. Meditating on them brings good health. He had a Mala
-the
Vana Maala. Of the two visible hands, one had the pot of Amrita and the other
hand
showed Abhaya [Protection]. He is the god of herbs.

Seeing Dhanvantari, both Devathas and Rakshasaas rushed to him. The demons, by
virtue
of sheer strength overpowered the angels and grabbed the pot away. The dejected
angels
prayed to Vishnu "O' Swami, come now. We are in distress. You gave us the idea
of
churning to produce Amrita. You came as a tortoise and ensured that the
churning took
place. Please come now." Dhanvantari gave the Amrita and disappeared. Vishnu
came in
the form of a damsel [Mohini]. That damsel was so immensely beautiful. The
demons,
seeing her, left the Amrita and went to her. She charmed them. The demons
became her
servants and submitted themselves to her. Attraction or desire is dangerous.
One who is
lustful has no fear or shyness. It was Vishnu who was Mohini. So you can
imagine her
beauty. Mohini got the pot of Amrita and promised to share it among the angels
and
demons. The demons readily agreed. Amrita was given only to the Devatas and the
demons did not get it.

Our Antaraatma is the ocean. Viveka is the Mandara mountain. The Praana Vaayu,
i.e. our
uchchvaasa and Nishshvaasa are the hissing of Vaasuki (the snake). The Dushta
Bhavana
(evil thought) is Rakshasha and Sadbhaavana (good thought) is the Devata.
Vichara
charcha, i.e., the process of thinking, is the churning. The answer or reply to
our thinking
is the Amrita. Constantly thinking about a problem generally gives answers by
itself. The
Lord will give an answer. The Lord never deprives you of what you deserve. You
many
times think "He [Lord] has deserted me ". You speak as if he owes you
something. He will
give you out of compassion. Just because he has compassion, it does not mean
that you
will get it free. You have to earn it with hard work, good thoughts, good deeds
and
Satsang. This is said in the Datta Darshana.

Next was Varaha Avatara, where the Lord came as a boar and protected the world
from the
demon Hiranyaaksha. He and his brother Hiranya Kashipu were the cursed servants
of
Vishnu ( Jaya and Vijaya). They were cursed by the saints Sanaka and Sanandana
for their
arrogant behavior. Hiranya Kashipu had a son called Prahlada who was a great
devotee of
Vishnu. His father did not like this. When he questioned the omni presence of
Vishnu,
Vishnu came out of a pillar as Narasimha,( half lion and half human), and
killed the
demonic father of Prahlada. The killing was made to meet the demands of the
boons.

As Narasimha broke open the pillar and came out, the terrible sound it made
terrorised
the world. The form of this Avatara is strange. It was so that the boon given
to the demon
could be bypassed. (Narasimha - Lion form on the top and Human form on the
bottom).
He caught hold of the demon, dragged him to the door, sat and kept him on His
lap and
tore open the demon's stomach with his deadly nails. The anger and poison stuck
to his
nails, which were soothed by Lakshmi by using the juice of Avadumbara leaves. .
Prahlada
prayed to Narasimha to calm down. He prayed that he be taken away from Samsara.
Prahlada later became a great emperror.

Next is Vaamana Avatara. Vamana was the last son of Aditi, the great woman
saint. Bali
was a great demon emperor. Though a demon, he was a great soul. He performed a
great
yaga. Vishnu came as Vaamana to the Yaga and asked for alms. Bali who was
famous as a
donor, readily agreed to give anything. Shukra Acharya, the teacher of Bali
apprehended
that something was fishy. Vaamana asked for three feet of space. Bali agreed.
Vamana had
come to give Moksha to Bali. Vaamana grew in size and encompassed the whole
world. His
first foot covered the world. The second covered the sky and the third was
placed on the
emperor himself. Bali was sent to the nether world.
Next was Parashurama Avathara. This avathara was taken to destroy the egoistic
rulers in
the world. He went around the world 21 times and destroyed them andestablished
righteousness.
Next was Rama incarnation.

Next was the Avatara of Krishna and Balarama.

There exists a confusion in Avatharaas. That is Buddha Avathara. The Buddha of
Buddhism
is not the incarnation of Vishnu. He was a great Yogi. That is all. Anybody who
wins
Buddhi is a Buddha. In the period of Bhagavatha, the demons and Tripurasura
were killed
by Shiva. They misused their boons. That is why they were killed. Boons should
always be
used for good ends. If you have Guru mantra, you get merit by chanting it. If
you use that
merit to harm others, either by thoughts or deeds, you are a demon. Buddha
means
anyone who instructs others to follow something not acceptable to Dharma.
Anything that
is a new technique or new method unapproved by the Vedas. It is like asking you
to breath
through your ears. Then Vishnu came as a Buddha and preached unrighteous
methods so
that they would comit sins. Yaga, Yajna, Mantras...all these must be put to
good use. The
Tripurasura demons , though righteous, were doing bad. So the Lord approached
the
problem with a new idea and came as Buddha and preached to them radical
thoughts to
make them give up Dharmic activities. You may ask if it is right on th part of
the Lord to
preach , bad teachings. It is certainly right, if it is for the common good.
This is the
Buddha Avatara. Not the Siddhartha Gautama Buddha.

Next will be Kalki Avathara when the Lord comes on a horse and ends the world
and
prepares for the next creation.

Jaya Guru Datta