> Just to offer a contrast, "Buck," my father was raised in a
> Quaker household, too. But he lived his entire life without
> ever saying a word about it to any of his kids. It wasn't
> that it didn't mean anything to him. Quite the contrary. It
> meant enough to him that he kept it to himself and never
> talked about what he thought or what he believed to anyone
> else. What they believed was their business, and what he
> believed was his business. Now *that* is doing Quakerism
> justice.

Anyone is a "quaker" if they call themselves a quaker. But, if you don't
call yourself a quaker then you're probably not a Quaker. Being a Quaker
isn't about keeping secrets from your family. There are no hidden or closet
Quakers - there is no esoteric meaning to being a Quaker.

So, it sounds like your father might have been a Mason - I don't know.
There are a lot of secrets with the Masons. One of the rules of Mason is to
never talk about being a Mason. They admit to being Masons, but they never
talk about the Masonry. They keep all the masonic secrets to themselves. Go
figure.

Local Masonry in San Antonio

[image: Inline image 1]