It's called "logical outcome" though sometimes it defies logic. An example is that we know the propping up of the financial institutions in 2008 was just a short term fix and didn't really address the real problem. What should have been done is just let them fail. The public would have been hurt a lot less than they would be now and many of the greedy rich would have been put out of business.