--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >

> But if you're not clueless, perhaps you could explain
> to me what you saw in that film that you felt conveyed
> a spiritual lesson of value.

Was the purpose of the film to provide a spiritual lesson? Paricularly
was it to provide spiritual lessons to non-christians?

> For me, it was sadly a
> two-hour dissertation on sadism, and an attempt to
> make viewers feel something for Christ by portraying
> in excruciating detail all the suffering that the
> filmmaker -- not being enlightened

And how do you know he is not enlightened? What are the outer signs
that give that away? Would the absence of those signs be markers for
enlightenment?

 -- could image an
> enlightened being going through.

Was Jesus enlightened? Same questions as above, but inverted.

> I *understand* that many people actually believe that
> Christ's suffering somehow magically paid for *their*
> sins.  But IMO this particular filmmaker must imagine
> some pretty icky sins to feel that what he put onscreen
> was what Christ had to go through to pay for his.

I haven't seen the film But I can't imagine its conveys things more
icky than the lower parts of human behavior over the past 2000 yrs.
(Ironically, a lot of which, massive gore and brutality, was in the
name of Christ)

> I am *not* averse to onscreen violence.  That's not
> the issue.  The issue is that this film spent at least
> 120 of its 127 minutes dealing with Christ's supposed
> suffering and only 7 minutes dealing with his teachings.

To some, it appears, that Christ's suffering for our sins is his
central teaching. If so, for those, its 127 minutes of a visualization
of his core teaching. It would appear.

> If that's not missing the point, what is?

Or missing your point? -- that is, a film about Jesus does not meet
your expectations about what a film about Jesus should be about. To
say that the film missed Mel's point -- you'd have to make a stronger
case.