> on 10/9/05 9:31 AM, Peter at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > --- Alex Stanley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer

> >> Yep.

> >> An anonymous person from an IP address that looks up
> >> as belonging to Kinkos.
> >>
> >> Alex
> >
> > Even if it's true, it's nasty stuff.
>
> The reason it bothers me is that some of those women are friends
of mine and
> I find it hard to believe they would have had affairs with Bevan.
So for
> someone to anonymously accuse them of having done so is a cheap
shot.

************

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/10/technology/10link.html

"There are some conversations that are undeniably improved when the
rule going in is that you have to stand behind what you say and have
to wear a name tag when you do it," said Jonathan Zittrain, who
holds the chair in Internet governance and regulation at Oxford
University and is a co-founder of the Berkman Center for Internet
and Society at Harvard Law School. "But that's certainly not all
conversations. People might be prepared to ethically stand behind
what they say, but might be in a position that they can't afford to
lose their house over it. Speech shouldn't just be for people with
lawyers."

In other words, without robust protections for anonymity, which the
Supreme Court called "a shield from the tyranny of the majority" in
the 1995 case McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission, just the threat
of lawsuits would have a chilling effect on free speech. And it is
worth noting, too, that the Delaware court reaffirmed the notion
that however distasteful - even stupid - one might find the "speech"
on Internet blogs and bulletin boards, at least some of it belongs
to an "honorable tradition of advocacy and dissent."....