Let's not forget who promoted the Clipper Chip - Al Gore.

[image: Inline image 1]

NSA Headquarters,Langly VA

"The official who concocted the Clipper Chip scheme had a vision where
private citizens could use encryption. But the NSA, though its built-in
backdoor chip, would be able to access the information when it needed to.
The official called his vision “Nirvana.” The NSA is still envisioning
Nirvana, this time a system with huge haystacks accessed only when national
security is at stake. But many people believe the very creation of those
government-owned haystacks is a privacy violation, and possibly
unconstitutional."

'I Spent Two Hours Talking With the NSA’s Bigwigs. Here’s What Has Them Mad'
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2014/01/nsa-surveillance/