"For centuries we thought that the conscience was just some faculty of moral
insight in the human mind, an innate sense that one was behaving well or badly
- although the great HL Mencken once defined it as, "the inner voice which
warns us that someone may be looking". It's been used by religions as a
numinous something-or-other, kindly bestowed by God, to give humans a choice
between sin and Paradise. Now, thanks to neuroscience, we've found the actual,
physical thing itself. It's a shame that it resembles a Brussels sprout:
something so important and God-given should look more imposing, like a
pineapple. But then it wouldn't fit in our heads."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/you-say-lateral-frontal-pole-i-say-that-little-devilangel-that-whispers-in-my-ear-9094043.html