So, let's review what we know:

These days almost nobody can read and understand the Sanskrit scriptures so
it's a really good thing that somebody can elucidate what the ancients were
talking about. According to what I've reaed, there is a close affinity
between Advaita Vedanta and Yogacara Buddhism. This has been noted by many
scholars and historians due to the fact that the BS (Brahma Sutras) seem to
indicate that Badarayana may have been a pantheistic realist. This is
certainly what Ramanuja and Madhva seemed to have believed - that a dualist
or quasi-dualist (dwaita and/or vasisit-advaita) reading is possible from
BS.

Are we agreed so far?

According to Werner, "Their theory of Maya emerges from their belief in
experiential reality of the absolute consciousness 'Brahman' (as emphasized
in Upanishads), as opposed to Buddhist doctrine of emptiness, which emerges
from the Buddhist approach of observing the nature of reality." The
Upanishads were composed by transcendentalists, that is, the authors all
believed in the existence of an Absolute, which was beyond or
transcendental to, the world of the senses. According to what I've read,
all the Upanishads were authored after the passing of the historical
Buddha.

Shankara taught that through direct knowledge one could realize Brahman. He
taught that it was only through direct knowledge that one could realize
Brahman. Vasabandhu taught that yoga is a direct knowledge experienced as
emptiness - there is a co-dependency and non-origination. Werner says, "A
perception of the fact that the object seen is a rope will remove the fear
and sorrow which result from the illusory idea that it is a snake". Cited
from Shankara's "Vivekachuudaamani" verse #12/a metaphor that was borrowed
from Yogacara Buddhist thinkers, who used it in a different context."

Works cited:

'The Yogi and the Mystic'
Karel Werner
Routledge, 1995,