On 2/9/2014 9:45 AM, Richard J. Williams wrote:
On 2/8/2014 9:21 PM, authfri...@yahoo.com wrote:
Neither Eastern Orthodox nor Western Christianity permit the view that humans can become ontologically one with God. That remains the "seperative divide" between Eastern and Western religions.

What "Eastern Orthodox" philosophy supports the notion that humans can ontologically be "one with God"?

1. Vedanta
2. Yoga
3. Mimamsa
4. Samkhya
5. Nyaya
6. Vaisheshika

From what I've read, there are no orthodox systems in India that support the notion of "union with God." There are numerous gods in Indian mythology such as Krishna and Vishnu; but there is no dualist system that I know of that advocates a "union" with god or the gods. In Vedanta we have the Brahman, not to be confused with God Brahma, but Brahman is not the Creator God - you can't merge an unreal existence with the real, the this with That, since you are already That.

Maybe it's time to review the Six Orthodox Systems of Indian Philosophy:

1. Vedanta

Sri-Vaishnavism - Vishisht Advaita Vedanta
Tengalai (Southern; Tamil)
Bengalai (Northern; Sanskrit)
Madhva Vaishnavism  - Dvaita Vedanta
Bengali Vaishnavism Bheda-bheda Vedanta
West Indian or Gujarati Vaishnavism - Shuddh Advaita
Smartism - Advaita Vedanta

2. Yoga (Sankhya Dualism)
3. Mimamsa (Vedist Ritualism)
4. Samkhya (Brahmanic Analytical Atheism)
5. Nyaya (Logical Theism)
6. Vaisheshika (Atomic Naturalism)

Works cited:

"Foundations of Hindu Philosophy"