Irmeli: It puzzles me also, why people, when they stop
 identifying the 'I'  with an image of one's personal self, say there
is  no 'I' anymore.

Peter:Because no "I" or psychological sense of "me" is
present. It can't be found. When people (in avidya)
say "me" they are refering to a sense of separate
individuality. An abstract, felt-sense of "me-ness"
that is private and distinct from others' "me-ness".

Irmeli: The `I' is the subject, who feels, sees, interprets
 and evaluates  situations, makes meaning, uses concepts like
 enlightenment in  communication, relates to others, is in dialogue
 with others.

Peter: Yes, this is all true in avidya. It is a
phenomenological reality. "I" exist, "I" think, "I"
feel, "I" interprate and evaluate, "I" make meaning.
There is always, except in deep sleep, this underlying
sense of "I".

Irmeli: The  fact that something is being perceived is based on
 subject/object  dualism. The perceiver is subject, the perceived is
 object.  The `I', the subject, cannot see itself. If it can,
 there is an error in perception.

Peter:All this is true in waking state/avidya.

Irmeli: The subject can see only something
 that is object to  itself. In enlightenment this error vanishes. And
 another error seems  to appear, the idea that there is no `I'.

Peter: No, it is not an error. You are extending waking state
logic into realization and it falls apart there. In
realization no individuality or sense of "me" can be
located. There is thought, there is feeling, there is
everything just like waking state, but there is no "I"
or "me" present. It just can't be located! People say
your name as if refering to a "you," but there is no
"you" present.

This "I" is a delusion created by the identification
of pure consciousness with bound mind. Consciousness
projects into and identifies with a subjective object
and assumes the limitations of that object.
Patanjali's metaphor of the crystal gem assuming the
color of whatever it is placed on works well. The
crystal appears to be colored. I mean, damn boy, I can
see that it's colored! That's the phenomenology of
waking state. But consciousness is not bound by any
object even when it appears to be bound (hence the
you're already enlightened rap). The initial
stage/condition of liberation is this cessation of
projection/identification of counsciousness with
objects of experience. Once counsciousness "pulls
back" into itself there is no longer any
identification occuring and hence no boundary or
relative limitation to consciousness. Full awareness,
but no "I" to lay claim to be doing anything. There is
nobody home, but all the lights are on and everything
is working just fine. That sense of "I" is just a very
subtle thought. Self-inquiry will reveal this.

Irmeli: If you are enlightened, I clearly am not, because I have
difficulties to understand you. I have never felt a glimpse of the
kind of reality you are speaking about and don't miss it either.

Are you meaning that enlightenment means to you another state of
consciousness like waking state, dreaming and sleeping. You just have
one more state appearing on daily basis: enlightenment? In TM doctrine
it had an other name I just now cannot recall.

I have referred to enlightenment as a permanent stage of awareness,
that includes waking state, dreaming and sleeping. Following our birth
we humans evolve through different stages of awareness. When a higher
stage unfolds the qualities of the old one are not lost, they are
included in the new one. The new stage is just more encompassing. What
was ultimate in the earlier stage is not anymore. A new more
encompassing ultimacy has appeared. Some aspects and structures that
earlier were embedded in the `I' and hence unseen to it, can now be
looked at, and is available as a tool to work with. Yes and this all
appears just in the relative, but more and more subtle and powerful
aspects of the relative unfold to us this way not only in the area
objective science, but also in the subjective structures of the mind
as tools and capacities and as cognition.
I claim that everything we can feel and be aware of appears in the
realm of the relative. The concept of the absolute is an intellectual
cognition of the mind. I have come to the conclusion that people tend
to call absolute some experienced states that are very subtle relative
to their predominant waking state. When you get more familiar with
those more subtle levels, you see that it is full of life and evolving
also.
I also claim that everything that appears to the cognition is cognised
only because there is a subject who is capable of feeling the
unbounded experience. In states that have not become permanently lived
stages it appears as if there is no `I', because it is so subtle
compared to the `I' of the prevalent stage.

For me as long as we in communication need the concepts I, you etc.,
it is a serious error of intellect to claim there is no `I' in one's
subjectively lived reality. We are in no way separate or isolated
entities from each other. We cannot live isolated from connections to
others gross or subtle. The `I' not to be there could be true in a
culture only, when there not in the language exists the concept `I'.
The reality of animals comes close to it.

In this scenario there is of course the problem, that how to define
the lowest stage on the ladders of consciousness evolution, that you
could call enlightenment? When our scientific age began, it was called
the age of enlightenment.