> on 10/17/05 10:15 AM, authfriend at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >> I don't. People say someone is "Christ-like" if they display
> >> extraordinary degrees of compassion, tolerance, patience, etc.
> >> Sound like Bevan?
> >
> > I didn't get that Lawson was comparing specific
> > characteristics, just noting that many people of
> > Jesus' time didn't approve of his behavior--
> > socializing with prostitutes and tax collectors
> > and such, healing on the Sabbath, etc.  Different
> > expectations, but the same tendency to be
> > disapproving if they weren't fulfilled.
>
> Yes, because he was doing what he knew to be right, not conforming
> to someone else's standards. Bevan?

However, Jesus *was* conforming to *your* standards,
right?  That's why you balk at the comparison.  As
far as you're concerned, Jesus was doing what *you*
know to be right.  But many of those in Jesus' time
had other ideas of what was right.

It's not inconceivable (although, heaven knows, difficult
to imagine) that Bevan also does what he "knows" to be
right (I put "knows" in quotes because it may not be
intellectual-type knowledge, but rather intuitive
knowledge).

One of the more peculiar things Jesus did was to make
a fig tree wither because it wasn't producing ripe
fruit.  Seems like an act of wanton and gratuitous
destruction, but apparently it was the "right" thing
to do at the time, as far as he was concerned.

There may well be a significant degree of inscrutability
in the actions of an enlightened person, even to the
person him- or herself, a function of the "Unfathomable
is the course of action" business.

[Caveat for the terminally literal-minded: I am NOT
defending the notion that Bevan is enlightened, just
suggesting that we can't tell from a person's behavior
whether they're enlightened or not.  And if that's the
case, we have to evaluate their behavior as we would
that of anybody else.  Someone who is said to be
enlightened doesn't get to evade such evaluation and
have carte blanche for their behavior.  We can, if we
wish, criticize the behavior of someone who is said to
be enlightened, but we shouldn't assume that because
the behavior warrants criticism, therefore the person
can't be enlightened.  And vice-versa, not incidentally.]