I don't suppose there is a link to this essay, anyone?

 Lawson, I remember when I stopped believing in scientific objectivity. Journal
of Conflict Resolution. Research done on the Maharishi Effect, I think in
Israel. A professor from Univ. of West Virginia on the journal's board. They
published his essay along with the research.

At the end of his essay he says, and I'm paraphrasing, that if such an idea can
be supported by scientific method, then we need to question the scientific
method itself. My interpretation: his world view was so shook by the research
that he had to do something, anything to invalidate that research. Even if it
meant he was invalidating all such research in the process!

 I wouldn't take quite such a dramatic position about it. It's not like it's a
reasonable idea. By reasonable I mean it isn't sympathetic to any other ideas
we have about society or psychology or physics. In fact we would have to ditch
pretty much everything in order to accommodate it. So he's right to be wary,
but without reading the article itself I don't know what he meant about
questioning the method. With such a wishy-washy idea as the ME we might need to
reinforce the SM in some way in case we are kidding ourselves with statistical
fluctuations etc.

 My comment on the ME is that in order to say you have lowered the crime rate
you'd have to know what the crime rate was going to be. It never looks to me
when I look at the raw data that something magical has taken place, the crime
rate goes up and down daily and the TMO never seem able to lower it more than
the amount it usually fluctuates anyway! If it went to zero every time Nabby
and the boys were in town we'd have to believe it but it's obviously open to
interpretation hence the wariness in the Journals. They have to be wary,
extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

 As it is, I think the ME has been shown to be wrong because of the amount of
courses that were supposed to be being monitored and the data never got
released. Selective publishing is the worst science of all because if you can't
see how many tails have been tossed, as well as the heads, then you can't draw
meaningful conclusions. Since the pundit project started 10 years ago, it isn't
like the world entered a period of peace and joy is it? Not in any way that I
noticed.

I think it's admirable that journalists and judges and scientists aim for
objectivity. I also think that what's most admirable is to accept that we
humans are never 100% objective and incorporate that idea into all our
findings, conclusions and declarations.